Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picture frames

Posted by mollycats (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 10:51

I bought a picture at a flea market yesterday and I am curious about the frame on it. It is very light almost as light as styrofoam. The lady said it was made of wood but wouldn't share anymore info on it.

The frame is painted black and sanded around the edges. I'd really like to buy or make some of these frames. Anyone know anything about this type frame?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picture frames

Balsa wood is extremely white & light. It used to be available for dollhouse furniture at hobby shops, haven't seen any lately but imagine Michael's has some in their wood section. Another wood that can be very light is redwood but it is pale redish color. Both woods you can easily scratch with fingernail. I think balsa would break if pic frame larger than about 4x6, not sure on that. They are making plastic into 2x4's so could be plastic & she didn't want you to know. Also a composite material, look at back uncolored part of frame, should give you idea, neither of woods I mentioned have much of a grain so you won't see pattern like you do on oak. That's all I know about it. All the hardwoods are heavy & pine & fir are pretty heavy also compared to styrofoam! Jan

o
RE: Picture frames

Thanks for the wood discriptions Sunny. My DH thinks it is balsa wood. He says the one I bought will warp out of shape because it is so light. My picture is about 30" X 4".
I like to frame postcards, calander pictures,ect so I might try making some of these is smaller sizes.
Thanks again for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here