Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hair Sticks?

Posted by CFMuehling (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 11, 05 at 10:29

Hi all!
Can anyone tell me the best way to attach beads to the end of a hair stick that has been drilled? Drilled into, not through?

I can't find a forum dedicated to hair sticks. Ha! No surprise. [LOL]

Thanks,
Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hair Sticks?

What's a hair stick????

Barbara

o

Forgive me; I'm really not trying to be obtuse, but they're sticks you use in your hair.

Picture chop sticks with holes drilled into the ends where one can add beads, wire, feathers, all kinds of hoo-ha.

C.

o

Barbara - This will give you an idea.
Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Hair sticks

o
Hair Sticks revisited?

They're lovely, Barb. However, it doesn't answer my question.

See, I am small. Regular hair sticks are 6-8'' long, which then stab me in the neck. Not terribly comfortable! So I have bought the sticks themselves, and would like to decorate them myself. I'm a little more conservative than the ornaments one finds in the stores anyway. The thing is, I don't know how to get the pins or beads to stay on the darned sticks!

Thanks, though. :)
Christine

o

I know that some will use hat pins, and cut off the excess, then use some type of glue maybe to keep it in? I know that i read that somewhere, but darned if i can remember or find where.

You might check out fire mountain gems and see if they have any directions. I know that they sell the supplies- eveyrthing you could want. (look in findings, or do a search for hat pin and/or hairstick)

(i have the opposite problem- the sticks are too short, cuz i have soo much hair, so they get lost in my hair. I've ordered everything i need to do some for me, but haven't done them yet. LMK how yours come out).

Angie

Here is a link that might be useful: fire mountain

o

Look at the 5th picture on this site. Not quite instructions, but it says what they used to make their hair sticks. http://www.manyhorses.com/store_hairsticks.htm

Here is another site with a brief suggestion.
http://www.augumspenworks.com/jewelry-supplies.2.htm

o

Ahh, Angie! I love Firemountain and buy lots of my fittings there. Good idea for instructions! I have waist length hair, myself, but it's thin. Regular barettes or clips are too big, so my alternative is hair sticks. I wish my hair were thicker so I could use some of the beautiful ornaments around. As it is, it's either a pen, a stick, a screw driver (working in computers, sometimes my husband says I come home looking like the statue of liberty with all my equipment stick in my hair), or hopefully a pretty stick.

Ladies, the links are great and have given me lots of ideas. I'm particularly thrilled with ManyHorses.com selling 4.5'' sticks. Now if I could get them to shorten some of their darker ones...!

I didn't realize the bead closest to the very end of the hair stick was usually glued on!!!! DUH!

I make my how looped pins, and have enough head pins to do some nice things. I have an overly large, obsessively collected selection of Indonesian, Balinese and Indian silver beads I want to use with these sticks.

Thank you! Excellent links and ideas!
Christine

o

AHA!

I finally found the page i was looking for.

THis is when i decided i couldn't live without hair sticks. But i also decided for that price i could do my own.

I think this is where i read about them using the hairpins, but i can't find it right now.

Anyways, talk about a site for inspiration!!

Angie

Here is a link that might be useful: Hair place

o

I've been there, too, Angie. Great inspiration.
I've just bought some great sticks on eBay. Found some that were 6'', which is juuuuuust too long for me, but they came and they're actually about 5''. Drilled, too!

I've a huge bead collection, so that's not something I have to buy. If you would like the vendors' links from whom I purchased, I'd be happy to share. Naturally, no affiliation here. This one vendor, though, had the sticks at my front door within 36 hours of the transaction. I was floored!

I'm excited to try to put these together. :)
Thanks all!
Christine

o

So, now I know what a hairstick is....I've seen them before but never knew they had a name. Those shown are really pretty, aren't they? But expensive!, wow!!! I'm going to have to think about making some of those for my DDs. Thanks y'all!

Barbara

o

Oh, yes, please share, i always need just one more vendor to buy from!

aNgie

o
Please. . .

Oh, yes, please share, i always need just one more vendor to buy from!

aNgie

o

Sorry for the delay! :)

Here are the links to the items I bought on eBay. The vendor has an online store, but so you could get directly to the hair sticks, I thought this would be the easiest way to see them. I'm pleased with their weight and quality. I am hard on them, bending even mettle ones as I skewer my hair to my head. I haven't decorated them yet, but I'm already using them! [lol].

The black, 5'' ones are here, and the brown wood, 6'' ones are here.

The nice thing for this impatient one, was that they were in my mailbox less than 48 hours later. Blew ME away!

Good luck. Hey! I'd also love to see what anyone does with them! I'm not terribly creative and would love ideas.

Thanks for your help,
Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here