Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annabell40_gw

Recycled Foam Boards

annabell40
16 years ago

We had a few foam boards at work with architectural plans that were going to be thrown away so, of course I picked them up and brought them home. They are laminated on both sides so I took tissue paper, crumbled it and attached it with photo glue to both sides of the board. Then I painted the paper with acrylic paint using a sponge. Now the board looks like a textured canvas, really awesome. I plan to paint on it. To hang it on the wall I used this double sticky tape. I can't wait to see the results. Cost so far $3.00... :)

Comments (5)

• oddie
    16 years ago

sounds like a real cool project! what are you planing on painting on your boards? I so love useing tissue paper on projects, used it for the backing on my stained glass window, to cover books and albums I have made, did a kinda faux leather look on a cigar box purse, useing oil paints, sealing the tissue paper frist!, will have to see if I have a photo, even used it to cover a wall in my kitchen! seemed like a good idea but hard on lg projects that you would need to repaint offen,
    thanks for shareing your idea! cant wait to see your finished project!
    I have a project going on more of a TTT, but I plan on doing a faux leather look on the top and will use the crumbled tissue paper to do so.
    oddie

• annabell40
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sealing the tissue paper first? oh no, I definately did not do that :( I wonder if it will fall apart. I should have thought of this. Next time I will try sealing and then painting over it.

I have no idea what to paint on it yet. If I can figure out how to attach a picture, will post it..I'm going to need to practice doing that and reading the help section of the forum...LOL

• oddie
    16 years ago

I am sure your project is fine, and you can always use a spray sealer, and should to protect your project, so you can dust it as we all have to do LOL!
    you said you spounged the acrylic paint on, if useing a brush and those paints since they are waterbase it wets the tissuepaper, and you take the chance of tearing the paper so a sealer is a good idea, you can use a matt spray frist, paint, then finish with with a few coats of what ever type of finish you like.
    funny I have been switching back and fouth to your other post on photo tinting and just relize, you were the same person, and posted to look at this post, anyway I think your boards would make beautiful backing for the photos we are talking about, and of course a painting of any kind would also be beautiful!
    going to start a new post and show my cigarbox purse and see if we can get some more ideas useing tissue paper!
    Thanks for shareing
    oddie

• annabell40
    Original Author
    16 years ago

here we go,

{{gwi:1474640}}

• oddie
    16 years ago

omg just beautiful! and very colorfull! how large is your painting? you should post this and the info of how you made it on the painting fourm, I am sure the girls there would love to see your painting.
    TFS!
    oddie

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio