Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paint_chips

Need creative ideas for glass insulators

paint_chips
17 years ago

I have been given several clear glass insulators, but I have NO CLUE what to do with them.

I like for things to be functional and unique, which is why I was the answer to the question, "I wonder who could use these?".

I am drawing a blank. Does anyone have any creative ideas?

Comments (11)

• oddie
    17 years ago

if you are a painter these are real cute!

{{gwi:1474614}}

Have also seen them wraped with wire and turned upside down as a candle holder, nothing else comes to mind, Iam sure you will get some answers here.
    Happy crafting
    oddie

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Turn them upside down into a large old bedspring and use as a votive holder, so cute. You could also use a small wooden box with a hole large enough to fit the rounded end into. Another site for decoratively painted insulators is "paintingonjars.com" - Cindy Trombley, does a beautiful job and she also sells her patterns.

Sal

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

oddie, I've never seen decorated insulators. Those are cute. My only idea was to just place them around a display of something else. My Mom loved them and the boys would find them by the railroad tracks and bring them hom to her.

• oddie
    17 years ago

Sal I like the candle holder idea, have quite a few bed springs left and I know I can get the insulators at the flemarket, thanks for shareing that idea.
    Oddie

• paint_chips
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My mom uses them for door stops.

I have considered trying to fit a led and a small battery into the hollow to make nightlight door stops... which sounded so crazy to me that I came running to this forum for advice!

So many great ideas! I have never seen painted ones, very creative. And the candle holder idea is inspired. I tried out a votive and it fits perfectly.

• Adella Bedella
    17 years ago

Heres a commercial site that uses them as decoration on birdhouses.

Here is a link that might be useful: insulators on birdhouses

• SEWigardnut
    17 years ago

I bought some old metal garden fence that I was going to attach them to to make a chandelier. You can find the picture at JunkMarket style magazine. Look at the project page and it is listed under "chandelier"

Make your own chandelier.
    It's fun and not too spendy.

Tools
    Bolt Cutter
    Wire Cutter
    Needle Nose Pliers

Materials
    72"-78" of Wire Garden Fence
    8-10 (2 ¼" diameter) Telephone Pole Insulators (votive cups or small jars can also be used)
    18 Gauge Wire
    Old Chain
    Candles, Ribbons, Flowers, and/or Greenery to decorate the chandelier

• kitchendetective
    17 years ago

I've seen them hung from trees as bird feeders.

• sweets98
    17 years ago

I have one for a door stop but the others are just on display as is. I can't bare to do anything with them because they're part of my primitive collection. I love this stuff and I keep finding cooler finds for the house! :)

• anjabee
    17 years ago

I use them as part of my prim decorating too. Just sitting on shelves and different places. Used to use them as doorstops until they started getting chipped. I like them as they are. ~Anj

• jaybird
    17 years ago

we took one and set the wide end of it into a woodblock in which we had already set a night light wire and socket. It makes a really pretty nightlight on the hearth!!!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia