Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More bracelet ?'s....kudzukween

Posted by pattico (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 2, 08 at 23:30

How do you do your jump rings...?

I'm having trouble with mine. The jump rings open to easy so I thought I'd be smart and use split rings. But they get all stretched out trying to get them into the hole of the spoon. Then the catch on everything.

I really don't know how to solder them...but I looked up instructions on line and they sound involved and hard. AND THEY USE A TORCH...!!!!ey yi yi....big and scary tool
There is a beading place over in Omaha that teaches that...
I suppose I could make arrangements to learn...But I thought you would just put a dab on a split ring. and use a solder gun.

patti

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More bracelet ?'s....kudzukween

I use the regular jump rings, open them and then close them a tiny bit overlapping, then squeeze them tight with needle nose pliers. I tried the split rings,too,and had the very same problems,lol.

o

Kudzukween have you made any of your spoons neckless special for valentines day? would love to see the photo if you have.
Thanks for shareing all your wonderful crafts!
oddie

o

Thanks Oddie:) I've made 1 Mardi Gras one so far, and I'm making some Cowgirl ones, 3 of those, I think the Cowgirl ones are cute! The stuff I used in the Mardi Gras one curled, couldn't withstand the 200+ temps of the stuff I use, but it's not too bad. I am going to make some Valentine ones,too, but I ran out of stuff :)

o

you can buy jump rings at different gauges like wire check out the selection over on firemountaingems.com ...the lower the number the stronger the metal and harder to pull apart.
Split rings are great too love them for children's jewelry, a lot of folks use a "split ring"tool so it's not so hard on the hands or the ring.
To solder you don't need a torch just a soldering tool and supplies will do, not too hard at all but practice makes for a beautiful closed jump hoop.

good luck,
ginger

o

I found a beautiful silver ice tea spoon today at a thrift store.

the entire handle of the spoon has design on it..It has roses on the end.

There is enough to make one bracelet with the beads and if I could bend it round enough it would make a ring.

Sure wish I could get it bent around a piece of metal pipe or something like that...

OH...on the back it says "National Silver Company A1"
anyone know what that means?

patti

o

patti heres a link to a spoon that sounds like yours, sure is pretty if it is, dont know much about bending them but I do know on alot of metal that if you heat the metal frist let it cool then bend it helps!

oddie

Here is a link that might be useful: pretty rose spoon

o

oddie...it's that very bottom one....

I wish there had been more of them...but there was just that one.
I love it.

Thank you for posting that site.

patti

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here