Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tralynn_gw

Glass Balls?

tralynn
15 years ago

Does anyone have any ideas what you could do with the glass balls they sell at Christmas time? These look the ones you hang on your tree but they are much bigger. I have bought a few since Christmas has been over (clearance priced), but not sure what to do with them yet. I am trying to think of something to do with them and they don't have to be used just for Christmas. I have seen so many of these in some of the most beautiful colors and sizes, I just think if some one was having a winter wedding, they could use these for decorations and you could do it really cheap. I think it would be soooo pretty. If you have any ideas what to do with these please post them..

Thanks and I hope everyone has a good week,

Comments (16)

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

tralynn, are these colored glass balls or clear? I would say you if they are clear you can make Guardian angel ornaments out of them with the feather and etc inside .. could use any time of year.. if colored. you could just add someone's name on them or maybe their birthday date and name, and add pretty ribbon on it.. and hang on one of those brass hooks.. just some ideas.. you can add name and dates with glue and glitter..
    Huggy

• oreos_mom
    15 years ago

Tralynn, I bought quite a few of them in both the clear glass and a pale blue. I'm planning to use some of them in a pond as "bubbles" and some of them I will probably attach cords to and hang in my windows to catch the light. I found 3 different sizes of them.. from regular Christmas ornament size to fairly large.

Susan

• tralynn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I bought colored ones. Couldn't find any clear ones. I bought some red and some gold ones. The gold ones are very pretty. They are like satin gold. I feel like I really got a deal on them. The big ones were 2 in a box for .50. Then there were some smaller ones but still good size for 4 for .50 I just think they are so pretty that I would really like to use them. Thanks for your ideas and I am still thinking.

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

I would think you could use the gold ones for just about anything.. and the red ones you could use for something Valentine's day. on a heart shaped wreath..
    Huggy

• oddie
    15 years ago

how about filling them so full with tiny hearts, red glitter, white feathers, rose peatls,small peices of scrapebook paper cut up, you could also paint hearts, words and use for valentines day decoration, small ones could also be used for the valentine trees.
    oreos-mom love the bubble idea for your pond, might try that myself, TFS all the ideas!
    oddie

• oreos_mom
    15 years ago

tralynn, if that's all you paid,you didn't get a bargain.. you got a steal.. lol ! i didn't see any of the red or gold ones. bet they are pretty. i paid over $6.00 a pc.for my large ones and $4.00 for the smaller ones.

oddie, i was thinking.. you probably wouldn't even have to have a full fledged pond.. you could use them in ponds made of half whiskey barrels,etc. i'm trying to figure out what i can use to seal around the top so they don't sink..lol !

susan

• leveta
    15 years ago

I bought 2 boxes of 12 for 2.00 a piece...clear ones

• lilacs
    15 years ago

In the past I have used them and poured the 2 or 3 colors of paint in to swirl around and drain out, put in the mica snow and paint the snowman face on them and put the pom poms and pipe cleaner on, put alittle snow in it and paint a small snowman on them with the dabbers in the different sizes for the balls and paint in features, have put star garland and such in them. You can put pictures in them, pop popcorn in them. For the last several years now I use them to put dried flowers in if we have had a death in the family. I also get a picture of them and shrink it WAY down and put 3 or 4 of these inside and then I also attach a picture to the hanger on the outside with fishing line.

• tralynn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are all great ideas. Will have to try some.Thanks everyone.

• nonacook
    15 years ago

If they are really large you can use a couple in the garden on re-bar like gazing balls.
    To seal the holes use GEII silicone for windows and doors. Works great for sealing outside stuff.

• oreos_mom
    15 years ago

Nona,I had actually forgotten about the silicone..lol ! I bet they would look nice as toppers for garden totems too.And you know..since Lilac mentioned swirling the paint around in them.. I wonder how they would look done like that with a little glitter added and used on a bottle tree instead of bottles..hmmm..

Susan

• sameboat
    11 years ago

I just saw online somewhere that someone took jars (you could use clear Christmas balls/ornaments) to make the most clever lanterns. Are you ready for this? It would be SO COOL for an outdoor night-time soiree...They broke open glow sticks and shook the fluid inside the jars. Then also added some glitter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a link

• pattytricia
    11 years ago

did anyone mention putting a solar light in the glass balls and seal them. then put them in a water garden?

• sameboat
    11 years ago

Cool for a pool, too! What a neat idea!

• bulldinkie
    11 years ago

You can use tweezers,do snow scenes,popourii,mm smells good and is prettyYou can smell them all Christmas hanging on the tree ,put a bow to match,beads,anything you can shove in the hole,all kind of miniatures at the craft store,the swirled paint is fun and certain colors together are beautiful,after we did that we sprayed clear spray in the hole to seal it.

• bulldinkie
    11 years ago

i saw some today the tree was done all in snow flakes,snowmen etc they had clear ball filled halfway with tiny foam balls like fills bean bag chairs.cute

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA