Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Book Weight

Posted by woodsy (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 30, 07 at 22:03

I made one of these for a friend's birthday and she loves it. When you sit at a table and read, the weight holds your book open for you. They are great for using with cookbooks, too.
Since then, I made 10 more. A friend who belongs to a book club is making them for all the members.
They are really simple and easy and make a great gift for a reader or a cook.

Materials:
Scrap fabric
1/2 to 3/4 cup coarse sand
one long straight pin

Cut 2 pieces of tightly woven (like calico) fabric 8 1/2" x 3". With right sides together, sew 3 sides with a generous 1/4" seam, leaving one small end open. (use a tight stitch length and backstitch at beginning and end.)
Turn right side out. Fold under open end about 1/2" and press the whole thing. Using a funnel and holding the weight upright, fill with the sand until it is at least 1 1/2" from the opening. Place the straight pin across the weight where the top of the sand is. This will "hold" the sand back a bit and keep it from spilling out too much. Sew 1/8" all the way across the opening, backstitching at beginning and end. That's it.

I'm going to start adding one of these to all the kitchen type gift baskets I make from now on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric Book Weight

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Book Weight

This is the first time I posted a link...It went to my photobucket site...but the information to browse and upload pictures shows...did I screw this up?

o

No, the photo came out ok and when you click on it it enlarges. What a nice way to use up scraps too. thanks for posting it.

o

Why don't you postthis over on the Quilting forum too? They are always looking for gifts to make from their stash of material and scraps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilting Forum

o

woodsy, what a neat idea, I am always laying something on my books to keep them open, thanks for shareing!
Happy Crafting
oddie

o

Thanks for sharing this!! This is a great idea and so easliy personalized..denim,scrap quilts,toile..oh the list is endless.

thanks again!!
ginger

o

minnie, I went over and posted this on the quilting forum..thanks for the suggestion.
And I LOVE the idea of personalizing them Ginger..never thought of that!
Woodsy

o

another good tip...one of the gals in the quilting forum suggested filling the weights with kitty litter instead of sand..I'm gonna try that with the next one I do..will smell great, too.

o

See, I told you so!!!

o

minnie...lol, you were right! Very friendly people over there! I'll be checking in on that forum from now on...thanks!

o

Hi Woodsy!

I'm so glad I came across this post! I have no experience with sewing and I don't even own a sewing machine. I think your book weight is a great idea and I would like to find out if I could purchase one from you. Please email me and let me know how much. I could snail mail you a check or PayPal.

Thanks!

o

Great idea on the book weight. I looked at your other items - I have a question. What are the dimensions of the walker tote? my nighbor wants to make some for the vets hospital in Fresno and I couldn't answer her questions about it...

o

Grandma Bonnie,
Try this site:

Here is a link that might be useful: Walker Bag

o

Thanks - she is not computer literaste so I printed it out... I am on my way to the $$$ Store to buy kitty litter so make the weights - I am at a three day Faire this week-end and beings that it is at the beach - and..... ummm... well... there is... WIND!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here