Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodsy_gw

Book Weight

Woodsy
17 years ago

I made one of these for a friend's birthday and she loves it. When you sit at a table and read, the weight holds your book open for you. They are great for using with cookbooks, too.

Since then, I made 10 more. A friend who belongs to a book club is making them for all the members.

They are really simple and easy and make a great gift for a reader or a cook.

Materials:

Scrap fabric

1/2 to 3/4 cup coarse sand

one long straight pin

Cut 2 pieces of tightly woven (like calico) fabric 8 1/2" x 3". With right sides together, sew 3 sides with a generous 1/4" seam, leaving one small end open. (use a tight stitch length and backstitch at beginning and end.)

Turn right side out. Fold under open end about 1/2" and press the whole thing. Using a funnel and holding the weight upright, fill with the sand until it is at least 1 1/2" from the opening. Place the straight pin across the weight where the top of the sand is. This will "hold" the sand back a bit and keep it from spilling out too much. Sew 1/8" all the way across the opening, backstitching at beginning and end. That's it.

I'm going to start adding one of these to all the kitchen type gift baskets I make from now on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric Book Weight

Comments (13)

• Woodsy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is the first time I posted a link...It went to my photobucket site...but the information to browse and upload pictures shows...did I screw this up?

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

No, the photo came out ok and when you click on it it enlarges. What a nice way to use up scraps too. thanks for posting it.

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

Why don't you postthis over on the Quilting forum too? They are always looking for gifts to make from their stash of material and scraps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quilting Forum

• oddie
    17 years ago

woodsy, what a neat idea, I am always laying something on my books to keep them open, thanks for shareing!
    Happy Crafting
    oddie

• honeysuckleridge
    17 years ago

Thanks for sharing this!! This is a great idea and so easliy personalized..denim,scrap quilts,toile..oh the list is endless.

thanks again!!
    ginger

• Woodsy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

minnie, I went over and posted this on the quilting forum..thanks for the suggestion.
    And I LOVE the idea of personalizing them Ginger..never thought of that!
    Woodsy

• Woodsy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

another good tip...one of the gals in the quilting forum suggested filling the weights with kitty litter instead of sand..I'm gonna try that with the next one I do..will smell great, too.

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

See, I told you so!!!

• Woodsy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

minnie...lol, you were right! Very friendly people over there! I'll be checking in on that forum from now on...thanks!

• chelsea_idealseats_net
    15 years ago

Hi Woodsy!

I'm so glad I came across this post! I have no experience with sewing and I don't even own a sewing machine. I think your book weight is a great idea and I would like to find out if I could purchase one from you. Please email me and let me know how much. I could snail mail you a check or PayPal.

Thanks!

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

Great idea on the book weight. I looked at your other items - I have a question. What are the dimensions of the walker tote? my nighbor wants to make some for the vets hospital in Fresno and I couldn't answer her questions about it...

• amberscu
    15 years ago

Grandma Bonnie,
    Try this site:

Here is a link that might be useful: Walker Bag

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

Thanks - she is not computer literaste so I printed it out... I am on my way to the $$$ Store to buy kitty litter so make the weights - I am at a three day Faire this week-end and beings that it is at the beach - and..... ummm... well... there is... WIND!!!!