Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gram_nh

Santa's from nature

gram_NH
16 years ago

Love making things from found objects, especially those found in nature.

Left to right...a stick, a piece of white birch bark, a milkweed pod.

Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Wow, those are really nice Gram. My favorite is the milk pod weed. My Mom would also spray paint them gold or silver after they were completely dried out and use them in Christmas floral displays.

Sal

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

A friend gave me a Santa ornament painted inside a shell, it is one of my favorites.

Gram, this just goes to show that you can create ornaments from just about anything if you have the imagination and some painting talent. Good job1

Luvs

• gram_NH
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They all have great memories. The stick is from the campground we use to go to. They had Christmas in July. I won a prize! I had a step ladder which hubby staple gunned pine branches to for a tree, then the kids and I gathered stuff! We made the stick santas, pinecone angels, paper chains and a big ole Jingle bell rock at the base! The piece of birch bark was laying on the ground at the house I use to garden for...looked like a Santa to me..heehee! And the pods are from the ole farmhouse we use to rent. It is such fun each year to decorate the tree and hear the kids when they come in with their little ones tell the stories of each one!!

Luvs, I have two shell Santas. The little one is on the back rounded part and the bigger one I painted on the outside. The pic has a glare and makes his eyes look bugged and it almost looks like material for the hat, but it is paint and oh so cute.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• oddie
    16 years ago

Just Beautiful! and all those memories, what could be a better craft!
    just incase you are looking for more nature craft, I saw a santa painted on a magnolia leave, my mil has two trees and never think to get some leaves, thought I would post a photo of the one I saved, also plan on getting some and painting them gold to use on projects for Christmas, or a garland.
    sorry cant seem to find the photo now, but will keep looking.
    oddie

• oddie
    16 years ago

Heres the photo of the magnolia leave, I plan on trying to paint some time, took forever but I found it.
    oddie

{{gwi:1474507}}

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Oddie, I have two big magnolia trees in front of my house that drop leaves constantly--never thought about painting Santas on them! LOL I have thought about spray painting them gold, but just haven't done it yet. Wonder if the paint would help preserve them? Or will they still get dry and crumbly after awhile. Anyone tried this already?

Luvs

• oddie
    16 years ago

Luvs I beleive if you pick them while still green you can press them, and hopefully they will not get dry and crumbly, did a few a few years ago but didnt do anything past painting them gold, seemed to me they stayed nice for a long time, you could use a spray to seal them, would make a pretty wreath also just useing the leaves.
    arent they the most beautiful trees! lucky you!
    oddie

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Oddie, I always loved the big flowers and pretty leaves--but when I moved here, I soon found out that they are a very "messy" tree. Constantly dropping leaves and pods--makes for extra cleanup work in the yard and street! :o( Now maybe if I start using it for crafting--I won't mind the extra work so much. LOL

Luvs

• gram_NH
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my, Oddie, those leaves are awesome. Up here in frozen NH we don't have magnolia's but I will be looking at the different leaves we have in a different light this spring! I love how one idea, spurs others on this forum!!

Luvs, I image googled painted magnolia leaves and came across these! Now you will have lots to do with all of yours!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnolia ghosts!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Wow! Who knew that all those leaves I throw away each week could have been put to better use! LOL Thanks for showing me the ghosts too Gram. Let's see Valentines Day is coming up--could paint them pink, red, and white with little hearts and make a garland of them. Now see what you gals have started????? :o) Luvs

• oddie
    16 years ago

I can see those leaves cut into a long heart shape and used to make a wreath or garland, will have to wait till spring, gosh I hate waiting when theres so many ideas!
    gram_nh would be happy to send you some, when we thaw out and the tree produce leaves agine!
    oddie

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions