Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hanging wall mural

Posted by amikeroy (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 08 at 19:57

I have a wall mural that measures 72 X108 in. I will moving in 8 months and would like to take the mural to my new residence.

Basically I want to hang it on something for display. Plywood is too heavy to carry to the 3rd floor. The wallpaper company has advised not to glue to fabric because of mold. Does any one have any other mounting ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hanging wall mural

Well, the first thing that came to my mind is the 1/4 or 1/2 inch Baltic Birch plywood. It is much thinner and not heavy at all. You can find large sheets of it at Lowe's. It is not too expensive, and it is very smooth.

Is the mural wallpaper? What is it attached to now? Make sure that it will fit through all openings on the way to the 3rd floor too.

Good luck with your move.

Luvs

o
RE: Hanging wall mural

I'm wondering if that white fabric sizing that you use to stiffen thin material would work? It has a glue like substance on it & using a dry iron it adheres & stiffens to the back side of material. Can't imagine why it wouldn't work on a mural. Then, you could get the decorative, primed molding that comes in 10' or 12' lengths & have it cut & mitered and nailed into a 'frame'. Once in your new place-simply staple the mural to the back edges of the frame and add the saw toothed brackets along the top to hang it. Another idea is to get 3 yds of 60" wide cotton fabric and several bottles of liquid starch. Dump the starch in your bathtub, soak the cotton thoroughly, then wring the excess out. Then with the mural on a flat surface like your flooring-(have someone help you..) lay the cotton on the back side of the mural & using a flat tool (paint scraper/trowel?) work from the center & smooth it out to the edges of the mural. Use pinch clothespins to hold it in place..LOTS of them..and hang up to dry. Overnight it will stiffen like magic. Messy job but cleanup is easy-soap & water!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here