Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground walnut shells for pin cushions?

Posted by concretenprimroses (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 19, 12 at 19:55

Has anyone used these? I really don't like using poly stuffing. I want something that is quick and easy when you sew but also keeps the pins in shape. Has some oomph to it. Ive seen the walnut shells recommended. I don't even know where to buy them tho.
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground walnut shells for pin cushions?

Crete, I could have sworn I read that rice was used in pin cushions. I don't know where to check???? Blessings, Kim:)

o

I think the problem with rice and flax etc is they could spoil if they get damp, or attract vermin. I've discovered that pet stores carry walnut shells to use as small animal and bird cage lining. But some people are also allergic to walnuts. Not to many I hope cuz I now want to try it.
Kathy

o

I use the ground up walnut shells, I buy it at the pet store, it's sold in the reptile and the bird depts. Look at both because one is likely to be a finer grind, that's the one I prefer, it's smoother in the pincushion. (Picture me walking thru the reptile dept with my eyes closed, I don't want to see the snakes, ugh.) The bigger bag is a better deal, of course.

Oh, be careful when you stuff the empty pincushion, if it's white. The ground shells can stain it. Also, sew it tightly closed by hand, you don't want any of the shells to get in your sewing machine.

o

Thanks flamingo!
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here