Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberscu

Baby Shower Help

amberscu
15 years ago

My mother informed me that I was in charge of centerpieces for my sister's baby shower in 3 weeks. I bought these (tree toppers) for $0.25 at Walmart in the after Xmas sale. I would like to do something with them. Any ideas??

Comments (6)

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Wow!! Can you make a diaper cake with a bottle as the top piece? There are patterns for using either disposible ones or cloth diapers. Of course you can use flower arrangements but they get expensive. Diapers probably are expensive these days too. Could cover cardboard with felt to make it look like cake, either round or square., Even use shirt box covered with felt. Add few silk flowers. Not much help, hope someone else has some ideas!! Jna

• party_music50
    15 years ago

The diaper cakes are a great idea! they'd go to the mom-to-be afterwards, of course!

Don't know how big those toppers are, or how many centerpieces you will do, or if you want the centerpieces to go as "gifts" to people at the shower. If the centerpieces will be give-aways, maybe you could pick up some appropriate vase or bucket-type containers at the $-store, decorate the vase/container accordingly (if needed), pack them with colored shredded paper, and insert a bottle surrounded by a bunch of lollipops tied up with flashy cellophane and ribbons? or the bottle packed into a small 'bucket' with mini stuffed animals would be cute... just cost more.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I'm with the diaper cake,too. I made one for my niece, and the thing is, all the diapers can be used.
    Down here, on our Freecycle, people give away party leftovers, and I've seen wedding, and shower things offered.

• amberscu
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank everyone!! You all confirmed my thoughts with a diaper cake. I was thinking of a single layer one. The bottle is about 5" tall. I couldn't pass up a great deal! There is only going to be about 5 or 6 tables. She is having a small shower with only about 30 people.

How else could I decorate the top? Should I put that shredded paper on top (not sure what it is called)?

Thanks again!!

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

Here's what I did-using almost the same bottle in my shower centerpieces but they weren't tree toppers:
    Per centerpiece...
    a 1 pound coffee can

a 1" or 2" thick sheet of styrofoam..cutting rounds for each coffee can that will wedge tightly inside of the can..about halfway down.

A newborn Pampers diaper

a silk floral bunch of pastel daisies ( I used pink, blue & yellow-so each table was different)

Primer plus a soft sage green acrylic paint

sponge brushes

a couple tubes of 'dimensional fabric paint in white

Prime the coffee cans on the outside & halfway down on the inside...then paint w/the sage paint.

Run a line of hot glue around the edges of your styrofoam circles & wedge halfway down on the inside of the can.

Using your tree topper bottle-push a wooden dowel up into the topper until snug-leaving enough to push it into the styrofoam all the way.

Insert the can into the diaper & tape so it's snug. You might first-wedgie the can into each diaper first to make it 'flat on the bottom for the can. I even used some fiberfill in the 'rear' for added fullness.

Position your flowers so that they make a rounded dome effect with the bottle sticking up in the center. I also added silk babys breath to my arrangements. Use enough flowers so you don't see the dowel or stems of the flowers.

Using the dimensional paint-on the front of the diaper print the words.. BABY SMITH (last name of the mom)

As favors? I painted the wooden dixie cup spoons in a flesh color-added 2 closed eyes w/lashes, a dot for the nose & a smile . Then cut squares of assorted pastel flannel & folded the 'blanket' up around the spoon & hot glued it shut. Added a tiny satin bow near the chin & a small pinback on the back for the guest to wear.

Napkin rings? I bought elastic & threaded letter beads of the first name of each guest on the elastic, & slipped them on the rolled dinner napkins.

• nonacook
    15 years ago

I bought a couple of those cheap also. Got a some cards of small things (bear, duck, etc) made of the same material. Plan to make a mini mobile or dangler with them.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County