Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enjoyingspring

Would you buy...................

enjoyingspring
14 years ago

a stick pony as a gift for a child

I was thinking of making these, as a posted previously I saw one at a flee market and they were so cute. Bute don't know if people would buy them. People are funny these days about buying crafts especially toys for gift.

I am trying to think of something to make over the summer that I could sell next fall at a craft sale.

Any views????????????

Comments (13)

• mamie11152
    14 years ago

I would and HAVE :)

• toomuchglass
    14 years ago

Is that the pony with the broomstick that us kids "rode" on ? ( Way-back-when) With all respect --- honestly , speaking about just my area , I don't think they would go. I don't see alot of kid's "toys" being sold. Maybe crafts are too old fashioned - or maybe there's safety issues .... I don't know. At different craft fairs , I've watched what parents buy for kids . Seems they buy stuff that will interest the child right on the spot . ( Probably to keep the kid interested while mom shops ! LOL )BUT ....
    if you like it - go for it !! You might start a new trend ! You know everything old is new again . Put your own spin on it & you just might make start a new fad !!
    Kathy

• Adella Bedella
    14 years ago

I think you could make a couple up and try to sell them to see the demand. Grandparents might buy them for the nostalgia.

You might look up decorating themes and see if you could make up animals to match the theme. A zebra would be fun as well as a horse with pink or purple leopard spots. I think a pretty merry go round horse with flowers in it's hair and sparkles in its mane might attract some attention.

My kids were given one as a gift and I had to take it away.

• sameboat
    14 years ago

I would if it was a REINDEER!

• Adella Bedella
    14 years ago

I love the reindeer idea. Here's a reindeer wreath that uses a man's sock for a reindeer. I think you could make this up a lot cuter, but it may give you more ideas on what to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reindeer Wreath

• sameboat
    14 years ago

Or a fancy little unicorn for a little girl, a dragon or a moose even would be cute for a boy.

• sameboat
    14 years ago

The dragon could have streamers resembling fire coming out of its mouth. The moose's antlers could be stuffed fabric shaped like a child's hands. Silly.

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Lots of cute ideas, might use some foam pipe insulation to cover the pole so if a kid started swinging it around wouldn't be near as dangerous.I'd tape it well at top & bottom.Insulation is stuff in long tubes with slit down the side, I use some on garden tools, rakes, & brooms etc. I covered end of hose hook after I banged my elbow up good with piece of it & put matching plastic tape over & around it. Jan

• nonacook
    14 years ago

I saw some of these for sale a couple of weeks ago at----
    Dollar Tree--can't compete with that.
    I made some back in the 70's and they did not sell then.
    Maybe they would now.
    Mine were made of fake fur, with real sheepskin manes.

• sharn
    14 years ago

we met my husbands daughters in the city for a xmas exchange, it was sudden due to weather so hubby went shopping while the girls and I visited, He came back with a stick pony for 3 year old grandson and he totally loved it. What a great choice..........go for it.

• deb7845
    14 years ago

you can try t make some and post it here. i'm sure they'll turn out great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Download FREE Craft Books And Projects

• TwoMonths
    14 years ago

I made for my 5 kids. Then for 3 grandsons....they did use them for swords or staffs a few times outside. I thought about using pvc but that is too hard still. So I was thinking I would use a 'pool noodle' for the stick part. That would not hurt. I would go ahead and make some. But do not make many many of the same kind. Unless it is reindeer for the holidays. Even horses make a lot but different colors and materials. Yes girls love pony stuff with the ribbons and sparkly stuff on them. I made some saddle bags for my grandsons to go with their horse...they could ride them all over the yard full of cars or soldiers to where they played and ride them back home again. I personally think they are a timeless gift. I have my sons that we bought of wood and I gave it to him for his daugter and she loves it. Beware of those in dollar stores. Watch for lead paint and bad stuffing in them.

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

My GF made up some "Princess headwear". She used a plastic band that holds hair back- goes from ear to ear-about 3/4 to 1 in wide & added some netting so it was almost like a bride. She made them in several colors & some she used a circle of the glitter or sparkle pipe cleaners & added bright colors of netting to the back half. They all sold & then neighbor made them after I told her & she said it was best seller. You could try them out on GK's. Headbands are inexpensive & netting can be either tulle or the cheaper nylon netting with a little bigger holes I think it was 79cents a yard at Joanne's last week. Little girls love to be princess, Queen, beauty contest winner, bride, etc. They don't go to floor but about to their waists or little longer. Hope you have good sales whatever you do! Jan

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County