Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
makinperfectscents

Candles

makinperfectscents
16 years ago

I recently started up a candle business this past year and was wondering what types of candles you'll like in your home. Do you like the classic jar candle, or pillar candles for home decor. Would love some input as I'm expanding my candle line. Would love to hear some feedback.

Also, if you don't mind letting me know what your favorite scent currently is, and what brand do you normally buy from.

I'm trying to do my homework! :-)

Thanks a bunch!

Kimberley

Comments (7)

• phish_gw
    16 years ago

But jar candles are safer because the wax won't spill or melt funky (the way pillars sometimes can).

I tend to like fruit/spice combinations like orange-cloves. I currently buy all over, pier 1, yankee on sale.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

I like jar candles for the fragrance and safety, but prefer tapers and pillars for decorative looks.

Be sure to constantly caution your customers about never leaving any candle unattended. I had to have a coffee table redone after a "runaway" candle burned off of the holder and set the table on fire. Could have been much worse if DIL had not happened to notice it and DS threw a blanket on it to put it out!

Luvs

• Posie
    16 years ago

Hello, I personally prefer pillar candles and I've switched from buying the cheaper ones to ones that burn nicer and longer. As to scents, I like spicey and fruity scents such as apple, cranberry, orange or lemon.

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

Since I decorate in more of a country/farmhouse style I love the candles in mason jars and of course always have votive candles on hand. My scents vary with the season so no one scent sticks out except maybe vanilla/spice. I am also loving the fairly new ones like Yankee Candles 'Clean Cotton'. Since I have a Yankee Candle Outlet close by I do buy from them but also bought from a friend who made her own soy candles. This year I will be making my own soy candles, Best of luck in your endeavor.....

Lynne

• tami_ohio
    16 years ago

I like most types of candles, but I can't have the scented ones. Most scents tend to induce asthma for me. I also can't use perfume, and am very choosey about shampoo, soap, and hairspray.

I do tend toward the country look also, so mostly the votives and jar candles.

Tami

• lindac
    16 years ago

I like unscented tapers and fat pillers....not heavily colored so when they are lit they are translucent.
    I used to make my own....but alas I got lazy.
    Linda C

• maddya
    16 years ago

Candles are an ongoing issue for me! I prefer pillars for decorating hands down, but love the mason jar/yankee candles too, except, I have wasted more money buying scented candles which burn with NO scent and that drives me. What scent should one buy to make sure it smells. I will acknowledge that I have found vanilla to be the best.....but I love flowers/lavender and none of those, or the ones I have used ever maintain a nice fragrance. HELP?
    Maddya

Sponsored