Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindabarbara_gw

Broach Bouquets

lindabarbara
14 years ago

I was browsing through some blogs and one blog directed me to a wedding site where the florist created Broach Bouquets. It seems this particular florists has been making these bouquets for quite some time, but I had never seen or heard of them before. They were just amazing.

The bouquets were nose-gays of various broaches, most of them vintage broaches, beautifully arranged into a "bouquet" or a tussy-mussy. The handle of the bouquet was wrapped in beautiful sateen ribbon, fastened with lovely pearl florists' pins.

I was wondering if any of you very talented people had seen or known about these and if you would happen to how they were created.

Many of the pins or broaches came from the families of the bride; this is such a lovely keepsake.

Thank you and here's a link: http://www.theweddingmemoirs.com/2009/10/brooch-bouquet.html

Comments (11)

• nonacook
    14 years ago

Those are really nice--I have a couple of those brooches that are shown....LOL

• barb_from_pa
    14 years ago

How did I get to be old enough that stuff I used to have is now "vintage". The years sure do fly by!

• lindabarbara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, I am the original poster posting about the broach bouquets. Just wondering if anyone knows how to make one of these lovely things? thank you.....

• oddie
    14 years ago

not sure I can be much help but I will try.
    go to this link and check out the frist photo of the oasis straight bouquet holder http://www.save-on-crafts.com/bouqmaksup.html this or something like it is what I would start with, you could maybe cover ball with tissue paper or paint white, any way to cover the green ball in case some should show throu, might even come in white, didnt check after I found this site, or # 2 way start with white styrofoam ball, cut off maybe a 4th inch,use that flat side as the bottom,insert a small dowel rod for handle, painted of course, or wrap with floral tape, as for the pins glue into the middle back of the broach a floral pick, useing the wire thats attached to wrap around where pin part is on back for added strenth, I would use a glue like E6000 you sure dont want these falling off, maybe use a little hot glue to help hold in place till the E6000 dries, then just add each broach till you like the looks,You could also use earrings, to fill in with,some of the older ones looks like small flowers,I would add some type of a ribbon around the handle, maybe a thin ribbon of white or off white,with long bows and ribbon hanging down, if you make your own holder you could add lace around the bottom also,
    maybe someone else will know of a better way, these are beautiful, looked at the other photos at the site you posted and omg! you will have to show us a photo and come back and tell me how you made yours, did you see the price, I might have enough to make a small one, saw one for sale on etsy also.
    Happy Crafting
    oddie

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

I love antique pins so would not want to damage them. I would get the "handle & attach a top that looks like a mushroom(or half ball-padded). I would cover it with a cloth that matches what handle is covered with, would prefer all white for wedding, a fabric that is nice & will accept the pins & hold each pin securely, I see the butterfly is above the other pins so I would either sew it on or use needle with fishing line & run it under & securely knot. I would not damage pins!! Might have to have someone assigned to take care of it after wedding & have a matching real flower 1 to toss. But I'm thinking how neat it would be to have mom's pins, & grandma's on it. Wonderful memory of the day & could return the pins after the wedding to the owners, might even have a favorite aunt's pins too. You would need to have photo taken before you use them, of each person's pins with their name next to them so you got right pins back to people & no mistakes. Would sure make relatives feel included! Jan

• pattico_gw
    14 years ago

I would string a wire through the "pin" part on back and twist it for strength. Then wrap floral tape around the wire, making the tape thick and wide at the top to support the pin. Then gather them all together and tape them together with the floral tape.

I looked at the goodwill yesterday. They had some pins there...for about $4 and $5 apiece. Can you imagine the cost of having them made for a wedding. Wow..!!!

• kacram
    14 years ago

those are cute!

Here is a link that might be useful: broach bouquets

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Patti, that's why I suggested the pins come from family. Cost a fortune, I think she said $325? up, I don't know exactly where I saw that but I was wondering if that is price with bride supplying the pins or if she furnished them. I think it said "contact us" & that was where starting price was!! That's about what my whole wedding cost!!! Wedding gown beautiful & new(gal at work backed out of her wedding sold it to me for $25 as I was size 5 & no one had been interested she insisted I try it on with the strapless bra, underhoop, white cloth heels, & blue garter in a box & cake knife of silverplate. It was perfect fit & she said, sold & insisted I take all of it for that price, I was so excited. Mom got 2 farm ladies to make the cake & they brought it in to church & set it up & decorated for $35. We were in Ca. & went back but had some bad news for our folks, DH would be laid off 2 weeks after we got back to Ca. We didn't tell anyone else. Oh, the ring was from his DB after he called his wedding off, so it was used as payment for most of 2 rings, I wanted, then they made a mistake & added more diamonds & I called them up & asked them what to do. They took my phone # & called back & said to "enjoy them" & have a happy marriage. Pics were biggest expense & they did them in black & white but said they would color them later for us, later came & they had destroyed them somehow. So got a bit of a rocky start with highs & lows but it all worked out! Oh, have 5 -3 in. square color pics a guest sent us. Jan

• lindabarbara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just thought I would chime in again...I'm so fascinated by these lovely bouquets. On the website, it says, "Vintage Brooch bouquets can be Custom Made for your Wedding I will use your Vintage Brooches and Family Jewlery to create these works of art." So, even with the supply of your own pins/broaches, you're paying for her workmanship, which is costly. It becomes even more expensive if she supplied the broaches. I just love unique,creative ideas and this certainly is one and the fact that the bouquet becomes a keepsake is even more special.

• bulldinkie
    14 years ago

This would be a good way to use your old Christmas cards.

• deb7845
    14 years ago

yeah, i agree. thanks for the great info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Download FREE Craft Books And Projects

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals