Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c9pilot

Is there a beading or jewelery making forum?

c9pilot
15 years ago

I'm surprised that there isn't a separate forum for this, or maybe I'm just being uncoordinated today and just can't find it? You'd think that there'd be a separate forum since there's one for soap & candle making and dollmaking, and I've never seen a storefront just for either of these crafts, yet there are beading stores in every city.

I've gotten some basic lessons and gathered some pearls & beads, but need advice on buying tools and findings. And I'd like to learn wire wrapping.

Where are all the other beaders out there?

Thanks!

Lisa A.

Comments (9)

• leveta
    15 years ago

I didn't see any, but google it and you will come up with a bunch....

• honeysuckleridge
    15 years ago

Here's one that might help....also check out the forums on Etsy.com
    good luck,
    ginger

Here is a link that might be useful: Bead Style

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

I think once they split out a lot of forums they gradually lost steam except for a few. Why not preface your threads with BEADING here at this forum it might garner attention.

• scarlett2001
    15 years ago

www.firemountain.com. It's a very large bead company but they have lots of how to's and also contests. Their employees make bead projects that they show on the website and in the free catalog. Their prices are not bad and the selection is huge.

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone.
    I just wanted a more casual forum to ask questions in the usual gardenweb format, but I suppose it's not to be.
    I'll probably give the Bead Style forums a shot.
    I do already get the firemountain catalog, emails, newsletters, etc. but I'm turned off by the sheer Chinese manufactured volume of fake and dyed stuff and dubious lead content of their findings. I prefer natural stones & pearls & shells. But they have great ideas throughout.

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

If enough people are interested and let the management know about it, they might get one going. I for one would be interested. I bet kudzukween would too...she does some beading.

At the top of the page in red letters is a place to contact management....you can ask them where it is we are supposed to go to request a new forum.

patti

• christopherh
    15 years ago

Over on craftlister there are forums. One is labeled "jewelry". There are 5 subcatagories under that heading.
    It's easy to register and the forums can be very informational. Right now they're fairly quiet but you can read previous posts and get a handle on who's there. You can also post any questions you want and I guarantee someone will answer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftlister

• Ina Plassa_travis
    15 years ago

About.com has some good basic illustrated tutorials -

I'm looking for the basic wirework book I keep giving to friends, it's spiral bound, and does the 'stand up easel' trick, so you can look at what you're supposed to be doin - but drat if I can find it today!

silver-plate is done over brass or steel, and I've never had a lead issue with it - that's more for the pot-metal and random junk alloys...which you don't want to use for findings, anyhow ;)

let's see - 'gemmall.com' is worth looking at for stones, Vicalla.com can be really cheap if you know what you're looking at, their tiger eye is wonderful, watch out for things that are clearly dyed (blue quartz, things claiming to be apple green chrysoprase for $3 a strand...) and monster-slayer.com also has some good stuff.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

FWIW, I am a professional artist and jeweler. I do use Fire Mountain. ItÂs true that they have some tacky junk in their catalogs. I think they are trying to be all things to all people. But other items are good quality. Just donÂt get the stuff that either looks cheap or costs too little (you know, you get what you pay for, etc.). They do state upfront if something is dyed. Their customer service people are great and can tell you what is good quality and what is not. I always make them really work! I buy a lot of basic findings, stringing supplies, etc. from them. Not beads (except man-made things like crystal, Czech glass) because I need to see them personally. I have bought lots of their half-drilled pearls, though, and not been disappointed.

Another place that sells more to the professional is Rings and Things. They rank their findings in the catalog so you know what you are getting as far as quality, and clearly state the origin of all items. No glossy full color catalog, just a color insert, but if you already know, for example, what a stone looks like, the quality will be reliable. They donÂt sell the trashy stuff.

Check into trade shows for your stone beads, like the Gem show or the Bead and Button Shows. Since natural materials are so variable I like to pick them out in person.

Good luck!