Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oddie_gw

Anyone make the baggie wreath ?

oddie
16 years ago

Have seen these and wanted to give it a try, remenber my mom makeing these from dry cleaners bags when I was young! many years ago.

The wreath itself didnt turn out to bad, but gosh the decorating! nothing seems to look right, thought I would ask you all what you thought and hopefully you will have some ideas for me to try, I made the rose from coffee filters, to match the pink along the ribbon edge but that didnt seem to help, is the ribbon just to dark? red didnt look right eather, so maybe a soft pink, its driveing me nuts! I used spray glue and sprinkled with red glitter and dimond dust on the wreath, didnt help.

{{gwi:1474373}}

Thanks

oddie

Comments (16)

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

Never heard of it Yours look beautiful and very elegant. I remember the old tissue paper wreaths Thanks for the pic!!

• gluecille
    16 years ago

Gosh it's been a long time since I've logged on in here. I've been so busy with work and taking care of DH it seems all I have time for is to read a few posts.

Oddie, GREAT JOB!!! Would you tell me how to make one? I love it. I have a wire frame for a heart wreath if that's what you used. What size baggies did you use and how many? Did I mention that you did a Great Job! Oh...I almost forgot...the rose out of coffee filters? How? Boy do I feel out of touch with the crafting world.

• sjarz
    16 years ago

I don't think it's too dark at all, in fact I think it's lovely! I remember seeing them years ago but made with grocery bags with all different colors of lettering that showed through here and there - I really like the clear look you've done, Nice Job!
    Suzan J

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you! I guess these have been made lots of ways in the past, could use ribbon cut and tied, or peices of lace would be pretty also.
    I am still thinking a soft pink ribbon would look better, just have to make myself go to the store to buy some, maybe find some other pretties to put on it also, had thought of putting the roses all around the wreath.
    Gluecille I will try and find the directions to the wreath and the rose for you, and will post them! yes it is a heart shape wire, the info said to use a wire coat hanger, but gosh I tried shapeing one and its not easy, I cut one ring off from those three ring wire one, and it worked great easy to bend and now I have two other ones to use.
    Thanks agine
    oddie

• honeysuckleridge
    16 years ago

oodie what beautiful job as always!!
    I noticed these were making quite the comeback. I made my first one, and I think the only one I made,way back in the day out of 'baggie" brand bags they were textured with the alligator on the box. Does anyone remember those? Way before zip locks.
    It was one of my first "craft" projects and I was sooooo proud of it. The wind blew it off our front door and the dog chewed it to bits..lol I think I was a freshman in High School..lol wow that was a long time ago.

Like, I said, Beautiful,but your work is always just wonderful!!
    ginger

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you ginger! guess as always the old crafts come back, new and improved! one of the searches I tried showed useing the alligator baggie, so guess they were made lots of ways back then to.
    sorry about your wreath! maybe you will make another one and show us how you decorate them, I know yours would be elegant!
    still looking for ideas of how to decorate them.
    oddie

• Posie
    16 years ago

Wow ! We made these about 20 years ago. Yes , from the clear dry cleaner bags. I might try one using white bags and cutting them in strips. I think they are attractive and besides you are recycling ! Thanks oddie. I'd decorate them just as you would a Christmas wreath or maybe a Valentine's wreath. I wonder if these could be used outside, maybe on the front door and change the decorations to suit the season, Valentine's, St.Pat's, Easter, Spring.....etc. Since they are plastic they should be weather proof.....(hope a hope!).

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am sure they would be fine hung on a front door, wouldnt hurt the ribbon or most flowers and decorationg iteams, where I saw these wreaths the crafters were wireing there decorations so they could change from season to season, dont think the heart would go long thoe, guess I am looking for something different to decorate them with, I will keep thinking.
    oddie

• girlsingardens
    16 years ago

I made one of these a couple years ago. My mom made several 30 years or so and still uses them today for the holidays.

Stacie

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Still looking for ways to decorate them,alot I have seen looks tackey! and I havent done a better job myself, has to be a way to make them beautiful, just havent found it yet, please share photos if you have any, or any ideas.
    oddie

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

I remember my mother making clotheshanger wreaths from tulle strips. Green strips tied on,and red for the "bow" part. Never saw the baggie ones! They sure are pretty! I like the bow and rose on yours, with the sprinkling of glitter, it's beautiful:)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Oddie, Yours looks nice. I wonder how the wired ribbon that is see thru and sort of iridescent would look? I do remember these from way back when, but don't think I ever made any. Didn't go to the dry cleaners back then so didn't have any bags! LOL

Luvs

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, you said the right words luvs, nice, I want it to be beautiful, did get some pink ribbon thats kinda see thru, more of what I feel it needs! have to work on this cause I am not happy with it, maybe I am just trying to hard to make it look like something it cant!
    We didnt go to the dry cleaners back them eather, but mom knew someone who gave her a whole roll of bags.
    Thanks for your help
    oddie

• snolady
    16 years ago

Is this how you made this wreath? I think a red sheer ribbon would look nice on your wreath.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plastic bag wreath

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Can't wait to see it with the pink sheer ribbon--I'll bet that will make it fantastic! ;o) Luvs

P.S.

Oddie, did you ever do the yarn wreaths that are made on the same principle as these? We just cut a cardboard rectangle and wrapped yarn around and around it, then slipped the loops off, tied them in the middle and tied them onto a wire hoop. Took two or three large skeins of yarn but they were full and puffy. I remember one I had done in white yarn, had it for allot of years. These baggie ones made me think of the yarn ones too. ;o)

• oddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Havent started the round wreath yet, hopefully soon I will and will post photos.
    never did the yarn wreaths,have seen them! with all the cute yarn out now they could be made so cute! I am sure you will be seeing them agine.
    oddie

Sponsored