Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Handmade Gift Ideas With Rosemary

Posted by StampingWithNoel (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 11, 12 at 13:21

Anyone have a good idea for a handmade gift using Rosemary? My hubby has decided we have too much growing throughout our garden and wants to pull a few plants. I'd hate to see it all go to waste.

I'm thinking of doing firestarters (seems about right for this time of year, although not so much for where I live). I also thought of rosemary salt for the kitchen (sea salt in a jar with a sprig of rosemary ... wouldn't it pick up the oils over time as sugar does with vanilla bean?).

Any other ideas out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Handmade Gift Ideas With Rosemary

On the idea of "food gifts" - a friend once gave me a bottle of orange-rosemary vinegar. And I've had rosemary-crushed hot pepper olive oil. I've seen people use the stems of the rosemary for skewers to grill with.

As for crafts - you could use the branches similar to evergreen branches to make a wreath or a culinary swag. A branch of rosemary would add a nice scent to a bouquet of flowers.

o

Dry rosemary leaves can be incorporated into handmade paper. I did it.
They can be added to small stuffed toys - any stuffing, especially nice in toys filled with some kind of seed, like bird seed. (I once had a lot of bluebonnet seed (=lupine) and made small rag critters stuffed with it. They came out like miniature bean bags - very interesting.) Rosemary added to pillow stuffing is said to improve memory.

o

Smudge sticks? I made some lavender one for a friend (and myself) who is very much into spirituality as they are used to bless and protect your home, according to native cultures.

o

I just threw away a photocopy from a library book with a recipe for herb butter which could be frozen until gift-giving time. Too late for this batch of rosemary, perhaps, but maybe useful for another time. I wish I had the right climate for rosemary!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here