Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oddie_gw

smoked mirror

oddie
12 years ago

hi all been awhile, been trying to do some home decorating, saw on a show a project called smoked mirrors, liked the idea and tried it myself ( with hubbies help ) was wondering what you all thought as I like different things when decorating.

thanks for looking!

oddie

Comments (10)

• Adella Bedella
    12 years ago

That's pretty neat looking. I think it will look really good framed.

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

Interesting. How is it done? Would you like to share?

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

oddie, That is beautiful. It is so different. Thank you for sharing.

Marylee

• oddie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you! after searching on line I found a site with some info on doing these,
    we used three colors of spray paint a deep purple, silver and black, hubby sprayed lite coats over most of the mirror of each color, we went from dark to lite but wonder if doing lite to dark would have been better, you need to apply the acetone quickly as it dries quick and use a large amount of it then comes the fun set on fire be very careful, and do out doors as the flames get pretty high, remove acetone from your work area first as it is very flammable, let it burn out , you can add more acetone and redo steps till you like what you get, fun but kinda scary, if you make one please post photo.
    Thanks
    oddie

Here is a link that might be useful: smoked mirror

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Very interesting look. Framed would put a whole new twist on the look. Thanks for sharing.

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link. I would like to try it. The hardest part will be convincing my husband that I won't burn down the neighborhood.

• oddie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, I will have to get some trim and see what it looks like with a frame, you just have to be careful, do so on a day thats not windy, and please don't tell me if you burn down the neighborhood LOL!
    TFL
    oddie

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

It is very pretty. Sounds scarey tho.

I was going to guess that you sprayed the mirror lightly with water then applied spray paint and mirror paint. I've been wanting to experiment with that technique.

Kathy

• oddie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sounds cool, you use regular spray paint water and the mirror spray paint, I know the water and mirror spray paint gives the mercury glass look, would it be the same just a splash of color? tell me more please.
    oddie

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I came back to this after thinking of it for a while. Why a mirror do you think? Is the glass stronger than just a piece of glass? I have an old beveled mirror that is messed up (8 in x 2ft), maybe I'll try this technique on it. But not until spring! That will give me time to think of colors and where I would put it. Tho "messed up" mirrors appear to be instyle. Kathy