Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oddie_gw

can you stand to see another cute Christmas project

oddie
14 years ago

I plan to try makeing one of these soon.

check it out.

oddie

Here is a link that might be useful: dove made from lite bulb

Comments (9)

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Oldie, love, loved, LOVED your little Dove! I would like to make some, maybe use the heavy paper for the wings and tail, and use spray glitter or glue and colored glitter.

You're very creative!! ;o)

• beachteach
    14 years ago

Now that is adorable! Thanks for posting that link, Oddie. Patty cakes, I am like you and started wondering what other colors would look good. I am thinking about doing it white and putting something "Valentiney" in its beak? That way I don't have to wait until Christmas!

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

that is so wonderful! Yes, it would work great for Valentine's Day.
    kudzu

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Well, i have the light bulb painted white!! Started making something last year & forgot what it was. I'll get some white felt out & see what I can do in the morning after I get my chili made!! supposed to rain tomorrow, nice indoor craft!!Loved her tutorial & thought processes. I like the bird better with the pompom eyes also! Jan

• oddie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I knew you all would love this project,I havent gotton as far as finding a bulb somewhere in my craft room, but have a idea of useing a styrfoam ball for the head, stiff paper for the wings, all painted white then covered with diamond dust,black beads for eyes and maybe use clay or salt dough for beak, sunnyca you will have to post photos when done, gosh you are quick.
    love the idea for valentines use, could use on a table at a wedding, or hung on a wreath.
    Like the crafter in this blog I like makeing something beautifull from nothing, did you check out the other project?
    oddie

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

I cut out pattern for wings & tail using her mat with the 1 in. marking on it to get the right size. The tail is 3 1/2 in long way & wide part at top is 2 7/8 in. part that goes on bulb is 1 7/8 in wide. Each wing is 4 3/8 in long & 1 5/8 in. wide. So all you have to do is shape it like she did.LOL I think A red bird would be perfect for Valentine's day also so I have to paint that bulb. The feet should be about 1 5/8 in. long. I'm using pink for white bird & red for red bird. Won't look like Cardinal(my favorite bird) but think it will be cute. Haven't decided on eyes for white 1 but thinking I'll just try several things, beads,pompoms or? WIP Jan

• pattico_gw
    14 years ago

A Blue Bird and a Red Cardinal would be sooo cute too. for the cardinal you'd have to add a top notch on his head.

I've never had good luck painting on glass and having it stay on.

What kind of paint do you use?

patti

• sameboat
    14 years ago

I just love these! How clever!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Patti, use Folk Art Enamels, comes in same size as other paints(2oz.) Also wipe the light bulb with rubbing alcohol & don't touch glass part while painting. Oil from your fingers causes paint "not to stick" Then let dry a couple of days. paint the metal part after the glass part is dry . I'd wipe it with alcohol also & let dry for couple of minutes before painting.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County