Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foxylil_oh

Pressing Fleece?

foxylil_oh
15 years ago

I am thinking about making a fleece baby blanket and machine sewing appliques on it at the corners. Anyone have a clue as to how I would go about keeping them in place so I can sew around the apppliques? I was told that I can't press them on with heat and bond cause the fleece will melt. I don't want to ruin the fleece by doing something stupid.....Di

Comments (5)

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Can't you just pin them into place? That is little scarey as some dryers get kind of hot, wonder if they ever catch on fire from fleece. I just checked 2 jackets I have that are fleece. 1 is polyester the 2nd also has rayon in it. Might do a web check on fleece & see if any is fire resistiant. Anyway pinning them in place will work just be sure to take all the pins out!! Have fun! Jan

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

I have pressed fleece before with a warm iron did not melt.. but you can not use fusiable backing on your fleece as it will not hold.. I have used a spray adhevsive on the fleece to hold in place while sewing it on.. be very careful when sewing on your item so you do not stretch the fabric.. fleece is very stretchable and could stretch it out of shape and ruin your blanket.. I took the one I did something like that to a store that did that stuff and before I put the two sides together I had them sew the baby's name on the corner.. he name was short so did not cost much.. about $5.00 for 4" letters.. it turned out really cute.. you could baste the appliques on and then machine sew.. but again I would do it before you put the two side together if you are planning on makeing it double. if not then you could just baste the applique on and then sew..but you should have somekind of stablizer on the back..
    Huggy

• iowagirl2006
    15 years ago

I have used fusable on fleece. Huggy is right about it not sticking permanantly...but I just wanted it on long enough, so that I could blanket stitch around the applique.

I make snowman scarves - I added a snowman head on each end.

I do not like Heat & Bond. It is too thick and does not stick at all.

Try to find Wonder Under - it works so much better.

I set the iron just hot enough to melt the Wonder Under, then used a pressing cloth over all the fleece.

Test it out on some scraps first to check your temps and to see if it is working ok.

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

Gosh I have not even thought of wonder under, have not used it for years.. so I will try that next time.. I want to make a scarf next year with a santa or snowman on the ends for the younger grandkids.. Thanks for that hint.
    Huggy

• foxylil_oh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips you gals have for me. I've made appliqued sweatshirts for years for craft shows and now I want to expand into fleece kids blankets and the scarves. I have seen the scarves with the snowman heads on them Iowagirl and I really adore them. Do you sew the edge of the scarf with the serger Iowa?....Di