Houzz Logo Print
grandma_bonnie

The new laws affecting crafters who sell

grandma_bonnie
15 years ago

I use this service for my shows. This is what they say

What is happening?

HR 4040

This will mandate expensive lead testing on all individual products for children, including hand-made crafts.

What you can do:

Write to CPSC by Jan 30 th 2009: http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/ComponentPartsComments.pdf

Vote on Jan 5 th 2009:

http://www.change.org/ideas/view/save_handmade_toys_from_the_cpsia

Recent messages to CraftLister:

-------------

I received your posting about the CPSC regs on lead and children\'s items. The scope of this situation is missing from your email. It is not just toys that are affected. ANY item that a child to 12 years of age might come in contact with must be tested. Saying that an item is for children over 12 is not sufficient. If they decide that an item can be used by a child under 12 it must have been tested. This includes not only toys but clothes, diapers, car seats (and covers), furniture, jewelry (even if not children\'s if usable by same), etc. The testing is estimated to cost thousands of dollars. Each lot, size, color must be tested individually (if one uses lumber, each board is a separate lot, fabric from different bolts is different lots). Even if one can afford to pay for the testing, the labs are not interested in working with small companies the size of most craftspeople. The item is destroyed in testing, so one of a kind items can no longer be made. Items in stock on the date this goes into affect, February 12, 2009 must meet the requirements or be destroyed. Under this law not only will most of us who make items remotely usable by children be out of business, the price of items sold same will skyrocket in price. It is urgent that implementation of this law be stopped. A good idea has gone ridiculous.

--------------

I spoke directly with the CPSC at length on 12/31. It is not just importers, it is everyone who deals in ANY children\\\'s products. Crafters/artisans ARE considered manufacturers.

There is a ballot vote being held on 1/5 to discuss natural materials such a wood, cotton, etc. for exemption. But only items that contain NO other materials would be exempt. So if you attach anything, paint the item, etc. it must be tested.

Comments (13)

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

thanks for the info on this - I have been linking off to other sites ever since I saw this post. If this passes - it will devastate the home cottage industry and craft fairs all around the country. I had a rather large doll clothes business for many many years and am in the process of starting it up again - this will kill it before I can even get started again - very sad ......

Lynne

• grandma_bonnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynne - is it a door closing? I don't think so... Are these clothes for collectible dolls? Those aren't for children, are they? If the parents chose to give them to their children, that's on them - not you...

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

American Girl Doll - you can't get any more child oriented than that plus I did several different cloth dolls and cloth animals that were designed for kids .....

Lynne

• grandma_bonnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

awwww... man.... You're right! I don't know what to tell ya, kiddo.

• donner
    15 years ago

Does this mean that if I sell at a local church craft sale (knit baby blanket,scarves,hats, those kind of things) Things would have to be tested for lead? Is this all states?

• toomuchglass
    15 years ago

This is so strange .... I do stained glass - it's wrapped with PURE lead . Handling it is dangerous . Putting your hands , then in your mouth after handling is dangerous . I've know 2 people that got lead poisoning from the lead that glass is wrapped with . After working with lead so long - I've been tested and I EVEN HAVE LEAD in my body . Long ago ... I heard a "rumor" that lead was supposed to removed from any production - that would effect wiring for TV's .. radios...solder ... anything that used lead . It never happened ! Why is this Blatant use of lead considered OK ... but the teeniest amount is considered hazardous ? This doesn't make sense. I'm beginning to wonder if some dirty dealing went on behind the scenes....
    Since I found out - I always have whatever I make - nickel plated . The lead is enclosed ,so it's harmless. It still doesn't make sense . I'd be willing to pay more for "Lead - free"
    stuff , than know my stuff could harm someone.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

When my DD got married 12 yrs ago she wanted sets of those glasses that "look" like cut glass in the black & white box, they are sold as 24% lead or maybe not that much but it is right on the box & I think they still make them, they had them at Target, Kmart, most of dept. stores. Then go look at the fine china & most of it is loaded with lead unless they just changed it. I got where I wouldn't buy anything like that. Warnings all over & said couldn't use any juices or acidic fruits in them. Even some bowls that were bright colored had warnings. Kind you put on table with apples oranges bananas in!! That was a OK!!! Like the conversion to digital, think that is gov't idea as it is going to cost us all as they say it will increase electricity use a lot. I guess there arn't enough blackouts & brownouts around the country!! I think big businesses give politicans big bucks to get this stuff passed. Who benefits from digital-cable companies, electric companies & those selling TV's & antennas. They came up with idea in Ca. few yrs ago that all washers & dryers would have to be replaced with front load ones, they raised them off the ground some & put very fancy price tag on them. Well, lot of people looked & said they wanted old models, they weren't paying double!! I remember when the "ban" on side load washers & dryers went in because too many kids were crawling in & dying, they kick at the round part- never think to kick on the door. My neighbors wanted to show me their new set- wow! 3 yr old child in house- I told them they were dangerous!!Next day it was on the news about boy that crawled in 1 at laundrmat!!!Laws get hidden & gov't does what lines their pockets the most!!!Jan

• christopherh
    15 years ago

Tomuchglass,
    All you do is put a note on your tags to be taken with each piece:
    "Not for use by children under 12 years of age". Because stained glass isn't meant to be a toy to begin with.

This is a very serious law. There was an article in the Washington Post talking about bicycle manufacturers. The valve stems in the tires contain lead. So they cannot sell the bicycles after Feb 10th!
    There was a small toymaker that made his toys out of unfinished wood. he had to get the toy tested at a lab for lead. The report came back that the toy was made of.....unfinished wood! And a $500 testing bill came back with the results.
    NOBODY is exempt from this law as it is currently written. This boneheaded law MUST be changed!

• mariend
    15 years ago

I agree, this law should be modified so all will be tested, meaning each box from overseas must be opened and one item take out and tested, and certified and the sellers should pay for it. Again the US crafters are being shoved out of business.

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

I just read a post over on the kitchen table...about a new law that will be passed on (I think it said Feb. 10th) that all resalers (thrift stores and such) will either have to have all children's clothes for ages 12 and under checked for lead content before selling it and the machine that checks is extremely expensive.

You should go read it...

Several thrift stores say they will be closing, because they can't afford to have the machine.

patti

• rodanddenise
    15 years ago

I'm trying to figure out if and how this affects the repair and sale of used eyeglass frames to children. We don't manufacture anything but we do repair frames and occasionally have to put lenses in a used frame. Thoughts on this?

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

It came over the news in LOs Angeles today that TS's will be except from this law!!! So that is good news!! Hope some of rest can be changed. What law should be is" no goods containing lead can be shipped into U.S." It needs to rest with manufacturers. All products that must have lead in them should be labeled as containing lead. Lead is apparently cheap & is being put in everything. They are doing the laws backward, What else is new!!!! Jan

• posieh
    15 years ago

Just a note: one of our TV stations interviewed a "Thrift Store" owner and she said that she had been told that it did not apply to used items for children. So she felt she could stay open as the used clothing did not have to be tested.

Is this a law to keep China from sending us just about everything? Sure hope so. You can hardly buy anything not made in China. No wonder we have millions of people out of work