Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sydneylanier

Making Ribbon barrettes for girls

sydneylanier
19 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get instructions on making ribbon barrettes for girls? I remember a number of years ago that you could buy silver colored 'blank' barrettes - very inexpensively - and then used satin ribbon to weave a pattern onto the barrette. Sometimes beads were added. I've never made these... I had two boys. I am now a granny to 3 girls and would love to make these barrettes with some of the really darling ribbons that are available today.

Thanks in advance. Coco

Comments (12)

• Red_Confetti
    19 years ago

Take a look at the link below and see if it is anything like you are looking for. If not, give us a few more hints, and we may be able to come up with instructions!

Braided Barrette

• Adella Bedella
    19 years ago

This isn't what you asked for, but it's cute. This is the instructions for really cute ribbon butterfly and dragonfly barrettes for little girls. I think if you used a softer type ribbon, the butterfly would be even cuter. I plan on making some for my dd after she gets enough hair.

Here is a link that might be useful: butterfly and dragonfly barretes

• sydneylanier
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Dear Red and Adella,

Red: The braided barrette is EXACTLY what I was looking for...everybody remembered them but no one remembered HOW to make them! I'd even done a google search to no avail..thanks so much.

Adella: The butterfly and dragon barrettes are also darling. I haven't done beadwork in nearly forever but I agree they look like they would be both fun to make and darling in a little girls hair... Remember, you can always use scotch tape to hold the butterflies in place!

• Red_Confetti
    19 years ago

Thanks for letting us know we'd found what you are looking for, Syd. Bet you and your grandgirls will have lots of fun making the barrettes and dragonflies!

• maybee_gw
    19 years ago

They have the barrettes at Wal-Mart

• sydneylanier
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Maybee. I know Hobby Lobby and Jo-ann in my area do NOT have these barrettes. Will check with Wal-Mart next trip out. I appreciate the info.

• Terri_PacNW
    19 years ago

I used to make those braided barrettes..But totally forgot how until looking at the directions.
    The butterfly and Dragonflies are adorable. Might have to try my hand at those!

• jgr18and20_gmail_com
    16 years ago

The link does not seem to work. My daughter is in gymnastics and I wanted to make her a pair in her team colors. Does anyone have the directions still?

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Jayme, try this for some bows on barrettes.

I'm glad you brought this post up--I too raised a boy, but have a Granddaughter now. I want to try to do some of these too.

Looks like lots of other projects on the site too, just check the projects in the section titled classroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bow barrettes

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

Here is the braided barrette.

Here is a link that might be useful: Braided Barrette

• debbowsw
    16 years ago

hi i make these bows.. i primarily sell as kits to do your self but you pick your colors.. i can make them up as well.. my site is www.itbowsbydebbie.com

hope it helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: it bows by debbie

• lthom01_gmail_com
    16 years ago

The barrettes I made for my daughters came from this pattern.
    Hope it helps!
    Supplies: 1 5/8 yd of 1/8" satin or grosgrain ribbon of each
    color
    1 set of split barrettes (Goody #8903)

1. Cut 2 30" lengths of ribbon for each barrette.
    2. Start with 1 ribbon on top & one on bottom in an X configuration with each ribbon centered on barrette.
    3. Take top left ribbon (color 1), go around back and lay over front.
    4. Take top ribbon (color 2) on left and lay over front, then top right (same color). Go between the two ribbons and lay over. You should have 2 x's on barrette.
    5. Now you are ready to continue with the highest one on right (color 1), go around back and between the 2 colors. Highest one on the left (color 1) around the back and between the 2 colors, laying them over front of barrette.
    6. Continue to do step 5: right highest, left highest, and always between the 2 colors. Pull tight.
    7. To finish at the bottom, take the 2 ribbons of left and lay over the back. Do the same with the right. Tie the four in a square knot. (Right over left; left over right)

These are the directions I used when my daughters were little, and I have to say that they're easier to follow when you actually have the supplies in hand. They make a pattern of slanted lines of alternating color. You can add beads to the hanging ribbons when you get done if you choose. Enjoy!