Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best surface for painting and brushes

Posted by summerf (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 9:22

Hi, It's me again. Before I get started on a new project I would like to practice a bit. I have a Donna Dewberry book and now I have to go out and get some of her brushes. If that is not possible, what brushes would be a good substitute. Also, what would be a good surface for practicing on.
Have a great day!
Summer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best surface for painting and brushes

Hi Summer! I think it would be best to look at book you are painting from to see what brushes are best. If you are painting on glass you use 1 set, if you are painting on mailbox of watering can you use different brushes. I guess you can trade off nylon One stroke brushes for another company like Loew-Cornell but their brushes are more expensive. Use you 40% off coupons at Michael's or Joanne's if you have those stores nearby & get something like the "value pack" of One stroke brushes & get flats 2,6,8,10,12 3/4 in. scuffy,small scuffy, script liners 1& 2 so that is 10 brushes in package #1059 I think it was $29.95 & with 40% off takes it down to $18 plus tax so about $2 a brush. Be sure to get some brush cleaner by Plaid in bottle that looks just like the paint 2 oz. bottles, wash the brush well with just dishsoap, I go back & forth in sink until I can't see any more paint & then put a little "Brush Plus" on & go back & forth to see if anything left in the brush, rinse & put just a bit on brush & pinch out to end to straighten hairs with thumb & 2nd finger & lay brush flat or stand up in a jar. If you don't get all the paint out you won't have much control next time you try to paint. Keeping brushes in great shape is 80% of painting. Rest is getting your fingers to do what you want them to do!! The Brush Plus lasts a long time & costs under $2. I was told to practice on wax paper, just be sure you are far from a flame- cigeratte, stove or candle etc. Wax paper catches fire & will even "crawl" toward flame these days so don't have anything that can catch it on fire. Could practice on old wood or metal but takes a lot of paint. The Painting forum might have more ideas! Jan

o
RE: Best surface for painting and brushes

I like the Loew-Cornell brushes too..
Good advice on cleaning the brushes.
Parchment paper on rolls (near the wax paper)
will work too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here