Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huggybear_2008

local newspaper article on new laws for craft testing

huggybear_2008
15 years ago

This article was in our local news paper in Cincinnati, Ohio or maybe on the local internet.. at www.wcpo.com which is where you can find local information..from one of our local TV stations.

Huggy

Related Links

CPSC Clarifies New Law

UPDATE Jan 8, 2008

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has just released a statement saying that used clothing stores will be exempt from this new law, and will be allowed to continue

However, it has not yet issued a ruling about local crafts people who are worried they may have to shut down (see below).

So at this point it appears that Goodwill and Thrift Shops will be allowed to continue selling used clothing.

Original Report Jan 7, 2009

Used children's clothing stores all across the country are growing more nervous with each day....about a new Federal law that some worry could put them out of business.

A new Consumer Prodcut Safety law that takes effect in February will require all products for children to be tested for lead and phalates...two dangerous substances that have led to millions of recalls.

Major manufacturers should have no problems complying.

Why Consignment and Used Clothing Shops are Worried

But resale shops say they can't afford to test used children's clothing for lead. They say they may have to stop selling used kids clothes, as well as used strollers and baby toys next month, unless the law is modified.

Goodwill, the largest seller of used clothing nationwide, tells me it is looking into the new law....and is hoping Congress allows an exception for used baby and child clothing.

Local Craftspeople Worried Too

Others who worry about the effect of the law are local craftspeople, who make children's products, such as blankets, sleepers, and wooden toys. They say they can't afford to test their items for lead, and might have to shut down operations.

We will continue to follow this story, and will update with any changes or clarification in the law.

As always, don't waste your money. I'm John Matarese.

Comments (5)

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

Thanks HB. I am reading everything I can find on the Internet. Found on on-line petition, but am making a hard copy to send to 4 members of the committee overseeing this bill - I just don't think on-line petitions are worth the effort as I don't think they carry any weight. So I have started a letter writing campaign - not many of my crafter friends think this is important but I'll keep plugging along with my Quihote(?) fighting/trying to reason with the government... The crafters here think it won't affect them... I hope so, but I'm writing letters too...

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

I wouldn't know who to send letters to or how to get the addresses to send them to. I am worried too. From what I have heard about the law it will affect anyone who sells things that children might at some point come into contact with...I am a stained glass artist who works with lead every day...and in almost every project I make. They are not meant for children to play with but they would be in homes and buildings that children live in or frequent. So this law could end up being devastating to my line of work. I would love to be able to fight to have it modified if anyone can tell me where to get names and addresses of the people I would need to contact.

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

These are the names and addresses I have and you're welcome to use them and pass the word to others - I've written them twice now...
    The Hon. Henry A. Waxman from California
    Chairman Committee on Energy and Commerce
    2125 Rayburn House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515

The Hon. Joe Barton from Texas
    Ranking Member
    Committee on Energy and Commerce
    2322-A Rayburn House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515

The Hon. Bobby Rush from Illinois
    Chairman Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade
    and Consumer Protection
    2125 Rayburn House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515

The Hon. Ed Whitfield from Kentucky
    Ranking Member
    Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade
    and Consumer Protection
    2322-A Rayburn House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Grandmabonnie, I will also do some letter writing..I will get my state reps name and address and also I will write to each one of the ones that Grandmabonnie has given us.. It will take all us working together to get something done.. Lets go girls and guys.. you know we of all people can get things done.. What is a shame is that just cause another country chooses to use lead in their products.. and send to our country.. we are the ones who suffer .. I think government needs to just check on the country that is shipping in the stuff.. now they are having trouble with drywall that they got from China, to repair homes in Florida...what a shame that China can do this to our country and our government is sitting back and letting it happen, and they worry about us.. we are not the bad guys..
    Okay I am getting off my soap box.. LOL
    Huggy

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

Thanks, honey...