Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need centerpiece idea, thinking of ice

Posted by pink_overalls (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 12, 08 at 1:39

I posted this question on the entertaining forum, but I thought I would pick brains of you crafty folks, as well.

I volunteered to handle the June luncheon for my garden club. I need to provide individual favors and centerpieces for 9 or 10 tables. I've chosen as a theme "Have a cool summer." The favors will be paddle-style hand fans.

For centerpieces, I wanted to freeze blossoms in a cylinder of ice, maybe placing a small fern instead of a candle in a cavity of frozen distilled water. I've seen directions on HGTV's website for making a ice luminaries, but I'd like to know if anyone has tried this process with success.

I'd probably use 1/2-gallon cardboard milk containers for the outer mold, and 1-quart milk containers for the inner cavity. I'd set them on a small towel on a plate and hope they didn't melt too much during the 2-hour affair.

Am I crazy to even try? Maybe someone has another idea using ice and flowers. I'd rather not use candles since I want to emphasize COOL.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need centerpiece idea, thinking of ice

o

How about using glass blocks?

o

I like both of these ideas. The faux snow might be beyond my skimpy budget. That's why I was going towards freezing water and flowers -- they're free. I like the glass blocks idea, and I've seen on this forum the beautiful ones that can be made. I could afford the $4 each, but would they look dramatic without a light inside? One winner at each table gets to take the centerpiece home, but I might still would consider glow-sticks, which would be cheaper than battery lights and cooler than a candle, but not last beyond the day of the party.

Anything else come to mind when I say COOL? Polar bears. Penguins. Icicles. Maybe it's because the Christmas season's just behind us, but I'm staying away from snowmen and other winter holiday themes. It'll be June and I live in the south. Each lady will get mints in a clear cellophane bag tied with a ribbon that indicates menu choice to the wait staff. I'm still open to other ideas for table decor or centerpieces.

o

For summer 'cool', I think lemon slices (or lime) and mint.
Maybe you could do something like the 'captured lemon vase' on this commercial site.

Here is a link that might be useful: captured lemon vase

o

Hello;

I have done this a couple of ways. Get a large mixing bowl and put a smaller bowl inside of it and between the 2 put roses and ferns and water, Freeze and this makes a great fruit salad bowl. There is no reason why you could not put water in the middle with a floating candle or even place a candle in the middle without the water. IT WILL NEVER REACH THE ICE IN 2 HRS. They also have those pretend candles now and they flicker like real ones.

The other thing I did was a cylinder like a paint can and put in orange slices, greenery, cherries and freeze with a quart size Heninz 57 vinegar bottle in the middle then freeze, and put inside of the space a bottle of wine or once again a candle.

People love this too. Enjoy!

o

Go to GOOGLE and type in acrylic ice cubes...there's a slew of places you can get them wholesale priced..even lighted ones!! One place has bags of fake ice in chips-sold by the pound. You might get some ideas for using them. You might even consider using the clear plastic stemmed goblets, place 1 lighted ice cube in the bottom of the glass & top with the ice 'chips' The color should shine up thru all of the chips. Then tie a ribboned tag on the stem saying "Think Cool" or whatever saying you prefer-would make great favors for everyone! OR...get some fishbowls and make one for each table in a larger version of the above idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here