Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dutch Oven question - I'm confused

Posted by tomatoes4ever (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 22:09

Lately I've been drooling over Le Creuset enameled cast iron and dutch ovens in general. I really want to use them to make braised meats and soups (like brisket or maybe braised short ribs, etc.).

Anyway, I saw a few good deals and was about to buy one, and then I remembered that at the back of my closet I have a Mario Batali 4 qt enameled cast iron risotto/saucier pot. It' seems pretty deep. It is oven safe to 500 degrees. It looks an awful lot like a dutch oven except for having one long handle and no second handle. So what's the difference? See links and photo to see what I have.

Do I need to buy a dutch oven? Or can I use this as if it's a dutch oven? If the concept works for me I'll probably buy a 6 qt dutch oven eventually, but I want to see how much I use it before I invest $$$ in Le Creuset.

Thanks!

http://www.chefsresource.com/mario-batali-4-quart-saucier-pan-orange.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon - Mario Batali 4 Quart Risotto/Saucier

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dutch Oven question - I'm confused

IMHO, i think you are fine to use this piece as a dutch oven. the only thing different is having the long handle where most D.O. just have small handles on each side.
it really is the same pot, just different shape.
use it for whatever you want, it should be fine.

i have several L.C. pieces and i do love them. if you have an outlet around you, go there. they have the best prices that i found. you buy "seconds" but they sstill have the same warranty and there really is hardly anything "wrong" with them. Mostly, just cosmetic. i did buy mine over the cours of about 5 years, b/c of price, but to me its so worth it!!

good luck and enjoy your pot!!

o

Your pic looks like a nice pot. Do you have any trouble fitting it into the oven with that handle? Also, I find my 5.5 qt. LC usually not big enough. There are times even my 7-1/4 qt. LC isn't big enough (meatballs and sauce in particular; the meatballs are always just barely fitting, and coming up to the brim of the pot). The 4 qt. pot you pictured would be good for risotto as it's named, or heating sauces, or re-heating leftover stews, soups, etc. If you are making a classic soup using bones, meat and vegetables, the 4 qt. is just too small. For my cooking tasks that I use a Dutch Oven, the 4-qt would be too small for all of them.

If you want to save money on LC, try finding an LC outlet close to you (see list below) where you can get 20-30% off. Or buy either the Lodge or the Tramontina 6 qt. enameled cast iron dutch oven at Walmart. Many enthusiastic fans of those pots, and reports are that they're as good as LC.

Le Creuset Outlets

Lodge 6-qt. Dutch Oven

o

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll give it a try.

I don't think there will be any trouble fitting it in the oven but it probably won't be in the exact center.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here