Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calphalon Contemporary Stainless -- Stains?!

Posted by thearrys (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 8, 08 at 20:58

DH and I finally decided it was time to get rid of our junky old pans we collected through college and took the plunge and bought a set of Calphalon Contemporary Stainless. The pans are great to cook with... they're not non-stick so obviously we expected they might be a little harder to clean... but what we didn't expect was that now, after less than a month, they have whitish spots on them that won't come off even with Bar Keeper's Friend.

Does anyone know what these spots are or what is causing them? We have a water softener, so I don't think they are hard water spots.

We have washed the dishes in the dishwasher (since they are specifically noted as dishwasher safe), but even when hand washing we get the same results.

Should we just call it and return the set and pay the small increase to go to the Infused Anodized?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calphalon Contemporary Stainless -- Stains?!

Try the following:

Mix some white vinegar with pure lemon juice and scrub the pan interiors with a non abrasive cloth. The spots are probably scale deposits from the dishwashing detergent. Some detergents have a high PH level which can spot stainless steel. In some cases salt will cause pitting or white spots, although that doesn't sound like what you're experiencing.

Couple tips to keep in mind. Add salt after water is boiling!!! Not before. Also, allow your stainless cookware to pre-heat over medium low heat for a few minutes before adding oil. And as a last step, salt your food before it goes in the pan, not after. Finally, I know the line is dishwasher safe. But you've made a substantial investment in quality cookware. Always wash by hand when you can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here