Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmor

le creuset stoneware question

happy2b…gw
13 years ago

I love the look of le creuset stoneware. I have my eye on the 3 qt. square with lid. Is this a practical item? What could I make in it? Thank you for your ideas.

Comments (6)

• momj47
    13 years ago

I don't think so, you can only use it in the oven or microwave, no stove top cooking with stoneware.

• suzyq3
    13 years ago

momj47, but don't you have the need for "casserole" dishes? We couldn't do without them and have some in just about every size. And stoneware is much safer than glass. We have both Emile Henry, Le Creuset, and Polish stoneware, as well as some French porcelain. We use them for baking, storing, and reheating. We don't have any that are square, though. Ours are mostly round, with some being more oval.

For stove top cooking, we use a variety of metal pots and pans -- All-Clad, Calphalon, etc., and some cast-iron and enameled cast-iron.

• happy2b…gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for momj47 and suzyq3- I bought several pieces for my daughters for xmas. Both have a good set of pots for stovetop cooking. So far they love the stoneware. One made lasagna in the rectangle pan, the other used the casserole for chicken and rice and beef bourganion(sp). They were happy with the way the food turned out, the clean up, and how attractive each piece is.

• momj47
    13 years ago

No, I don't make many casseroles, no one in my family likes them, and on the rare occasion I do make one, I use one of my enamel on cast iron pans. My glass and stoneware cookware all broke or chipped over the last 40 years. I do have a Le Creuset stoneware pie pan that I like, though.

Enjoy

• suzyq3
    13 years ago

momj47, I put "casserole" in quotes in my reply to you because I don't think they are solely for that purpose. As riverhouse designs indicated, stoneware and porcelain come in a variety of sizes. In addition to my round ones, I have different sized rectangular bakers (use for just about everything in the oven) and a square baker as well.

I love my larger enameled cast iron oval and round Dutch type ovens for slow cooking and braising, but they are heavy and not dishwasher-safe. So for the run-of-the-mill oven cooking and baking, the "casseroles" and bakers fit the bill best.

I have yet to have any chip, but I agree about the glass. The frightening in-depth article in last month's Consumer Reports was the last straw. Even though we had never experienced any problems, I have replaced my few remaining Pyrex or Anchor Hocking with stoneware or porcelain.

• timbrel
    10 years ago

I am interested in purchasing a small oval baking pan for use in the oven and microwave as well as storing in the refrigerator and freezer. Anyone have experience with these manufacturers?