Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery whisk! Can anyone identify this whisk?

Posted by Lewis_27603 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 21, 10 at 19:59

Hello,

15 or 20 years ago I bought a whisk and small pitcher from Restoration Hardware.

The whisk is used inside of the pitcher. It has a cylindrical handle and is used by holding the handle between open palms and rubbing your hands back and forth. The motion is similar to one you might use to keep your hands warm.

The wire body of the whisk is also cylindical. It has a nylon button on the very bottom. The nylon button prevents damage to the surface the whisk touches and reduces friction for the whisking process.

I vaguely recollect reading that the combo of whisk and pitcher was common in parts of France. In any case, I love the combo and use it all the time. For instance, it is a fantastic way to whisk eggs.

I would like to find a source for the whisk to have a spare on hand and for gifts. Any insight into this utensil will be appreciated. I have searched for it in vain for quite a while. I think (hope :)) the main challenge is just knowing what to call it.

A link to a small picture gallery is included.

Many thanks for your thoughts and happy holidays!

Lewis

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of the mystery whisk.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery whisk! Can anyone identify this whisk?

ps. I recently found the pitcher online. It is linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pitcher

o
RE: Mystery whisk! Please identify the type of whisk

Thoughts? Anyone?

o

Check out the cooking forum, too. Lots of knowledgeable people there, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: cooking forum

o

Could it be an alternative form of a millinillo? They are used for making Mexican hot chocolate. Usually the wisk is made of wood. It is put in the pitcher and used as you described, by rubbing the handle between your palms to mix and aerate the hot chocolate. NancyLouise

o

NancyLouise that is awesome! Thank you. I had to try a number of variants of spelling but eventually found a wealth of pictures and other information about molinillo stirrers.

My whisk is somewhat similar to some of those stirrers. I will have to try it with hot chocolate sometime.

There is something very satisfying about using it. Whatever is whisked stays nicely contained in the pitcher; it is easier to clean and quieter than an electric appliance, and it gives a great feeling of blending without using any electricity.

I better stop before going too far over the top.

Thanks again, the molinillo is very similar but not quite the item I need. I just *know* the whisk is still available somewhere.

All insights are appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of molinillo stirrers

o
RE: Mystery whisk! still looking -- forum suggestions?

Hello,

I am still looking for the mystery whisk.

Perhaps someone could suggest a good forum outside of the Gardenweb universe.

Thank you in advance!

Lewis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here