Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catlover5

Staub braiser - am I doing something wrong?

catlover5
11 years ago

I just treated myself to two pieces of Staub cookware from WS - the braiser/everyday pan and the dutch oven which hasn't been used yet because I received a defective pan and they are sending an exchange but they are beautiful.

I cooked beef stew - husband said flavor was excellent but the meat was tough and the carrots were still hard after cooking over low heat covered for 3 hours . . I always made it in my stainless steel Calphalon and it was oh so tender (but maybe less flavorful?) I used low heat and kept it covered. I did not really brown the meat as I would have in my stainless pan.

Prior to that, I made sausage and peppers. I usually really brown the sausages but I was afraid to use high heat and "burn" them for fear of ruining the black matte surface. My husband said it was terrible (well, actually "not one of your better meals" but I thought it was terrible) and it was always one of my go to dishes. When I added the wine to deglaze, nothing really happened. Again, I used low heat and extended the cooking time.

I made something else first, I don't recall, but I wasn't thrilled with that either. DH is normally very easy to please but I feel like my food was better in the stainless pot. I am also not used to cooking with plastic, nylon or silicone utensils.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm