Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Immersion blenders only work for cool foods?

Posted by Barbara9093 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 12, 05 at 18:35

I ordered a Braun Multi-mix 880 hand blender online. It's a little different than the usual stick blender -- it looks more like a hand blender with a stick attachment. It got good reviews on a few different sites, so I took a chance.

But I was just reading the instructions, and I see that it says NOT to use it as an immersion heater in anything hot. You should let your pot of hot foods cool first, then blend, then reheat. If you use the immersion blender in hot liquids, you run the danger of overheating the blender.

The whole reason I bought an immersion blender was to use in hot soups! Is this one different than the ones everyone else has, or do you all just ignore your directions?

Barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Immersion blenders only work for cool foods?

I use my Bamix in soup all the time. Works just fine. Can't speak to the Braun.

Ken

o

I have a GE hand blender that I use in soups a lot too. The motor is in the handle, which is isolated from the heat of the liquid, so it's hard to imagine what they're talking about. What good is a hand blender if you can't puree soup with it?

o

That sounds very strange to me. I wonder if some sort of "Liability" statement.

Maybe afraid someone will forget to turn it off before they remove it from some hot food and spray themselves in the face and then sue Braun.

I've used my Braun stick in hot foods before... no problem.

Tim

o

I have a Swiss blender from Sonoma. Use it in hot soup all the time.

o

My KitchenAid is used primarily in hot foods with no problem so far. I will read the owners manual to see if KA also says no hot foods. I will report back.

o

Thanks all, and Mustangs - I'll be waiting for your report!

Barbara

o

Barbara, I was confident that I could put my hands on my owners manual as I am organized but I have failed! I guess that I thought there wasn't enough information to save. So I emailed Kitchenaid with the question.

The question about heat seems to be sidestepped in the FAQ's

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchenaid

o

Mustangs - Very nice organization!!!!!! You even are set up to take a picture and embed it in your text. I am impressed!

I e-mailed Braun, but they haven't gotten back to me. I decided to return the unit anyway - it seemed awkward to hold over a pot, (it looks more like a blender than a stick) and I really didn't need all the attachments. I'll get one of the ones that have been mentioned above, if I can still find them in the stores.
Barbara

o

Barbara, Thanks. I was BBB today and compared the watts for the Braun (300) and the KitchenAid (200). I would think that would be a consideration too.

o

I've had a Braun since 1993. I've never once used it on cool food. It's so much easier than ladling hot soup into a blender although I'm not patient enough to make everything come out completely lump free.

o

I got a response from Braun about the Multi-mix. It is NOT supposed to go in hot foods. Here's what they said:

"I apologize that you cannot use your M880 in hot foods. The product that you would want to buy would be the MR5550. This is a hand blender with a metal stick attachment that you will be able to use in hot foods."

Barbara

o

Barbara, sounds like the key is the metal shaft. The KA has the metal shaft so it's okay with hot. Today at Target I did see an Oster that had 250 watts. I would look for the highest wattage along with the metal shaft.

o

That makes sense. My Bamix is all metal shaft as well. Not sure what the wattage is but it handles anything I throw at it.

Ken

o

Just got a message back from KitchenAid:

Thank you for visiting the KitchenAid website!

The Immersion Blender certainly can be used with hot liquids! In fact, many customers purchase the Immersion Blender just for blending soups and stews, to name a few.

o

I'm looking at a Kitchen Aid stick blender right now, and the metal shaft is a BIG consideration, both for longevity and for using in hot foods.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here