Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tortilla Press

Posted by Ratherbgardening (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 05 at 17:26

Anyone have one? If so, what brand and are you happy with it? I'm thinking of getting one so I can make tortillas with different flours. My daughter and I are on a food elimination/rotation diet with no wheat allowed and we can only have corn tortillas on a 4 day rotation, so as not to develop new sensitivities. She reacted to 27 foods, so it has given me new cooking challenges. Ever try cooking without onion, garlic, tomatoes, and eggs? Surprisingly, I haven't had very many flops and early on made a couple of dinners that my kids liked quite a bit, even with kale. I was ready for complaints, but never got any.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tortilla Press

Ratherbegardening...I love your name. We think alike!

I purchased a tortilla press in Mexico City in the mid-80's. Since I make ALL of our bread products, I was convinced that I'd also make our tortillas and that they would, of course, be better than purchased ones. Well, I didn't and they weren't. I couldn't get them thin enough and they were awful. It takes a good amount of upper body strength to push that press down and get a perfectly round, thin tortilla that I couldn't muster. Hope lives eternal though and I kept it taking up drawer space until two years ago when we moved again. I took a good hard look at and tossed it in the "garage sale" pile and haven't had the urge to replace it.

I have no idea what the brand name was but everyone I've ever see since, in the US, looked exactly like the one I bought in Mexico. Maybe, someone here has better experiences. When we lived in CO, we had access to wonderful tortillarias but here in NE...have to settle for national brands. Not as good...

o

Thanks Tricia. Ya, gardening is my passion. I'm sorry to see that you ended up with a disability that makes it harder for you to do it. If I had to give it up, I think my dh would just put in lawn everywhere. He's not a gardener. He helps out, but isn't interested in spending the time on it that I do. I have had some health issues the past 10 years that have slowed me down, but I keep plugging away.
I'll have to try making some tortillas by hand first and see how it works with other grains, but I'll still keep a press in mind for now.

o

Thanks Tricia. Ya, gardening is my passion. I'm sorry to see that you ended up with a disability that makes it harder for you to do it. If I had to give it up, I think my dh would just put in lawn everywhere. He's not a gardener. He helps out, but isn't interested in spending the time on it that I do. I have had some health issues the past 10 years that have slowed me down, but I keep plugging away.
I'll have to try making some tortillas by hand first and see how it works with other grains, but I'll still keep a press in mind for now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here