Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmlove_gw

Dough Scraper

dmlove
17 years ago

I need one, and I wonder if the plastic kind (Mario Batali) works as well as the metal kind. (I definitely want one with a comfortable "handle"). Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mario Batali scraper

Comments (11)

• lindac
    17 years ago

I have a very nice carbon steel one with a wooden handle....that has to be hand washed and carefully dried or it will rust. My son has a lovely stainless one with a fairly sharp edge, good for cutting dough...and perhaps otherthings...like your hand when you accidentally bump it in the dish washer.
    So that plastic one for $4.95 is looking pretty good!
    Linda C

• dmlove
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I'll do it - how wrong can it be (for $4.95 that is). Thanks.

• Marigene
    17 years ago

I have had one like this one from KA for several years. Mine doesn't have the KA logo.

• azzalea
    17 years ago

I have several. A couple with metal blades--the wood one is fine, but the wood has deteriorated over the years slightly. The one with the plastic handle--the seams of the plastic are starting to come apart. Still useable, but not so good as before. I have the Oxo rigid plastic one--great to use, it's got a tapered blade so it's excellant for cutting, the blade has measurements marked on it--another nice 'extra'. The handle is very comfortable (as all their things seem to be). As I have a stainless steel workbench, I like the fact that the plastic doesn't scratch. I'd think it would also be the material of choice for working with marble, as well.

I've also got a couple of flexible gizmos that are similar to dough scrapers--great for quickly scooping dough or batter from a mixing bowl (and they do very well getting around that dimple in the bottom of the KA mixer bowl).

A few uses for dough scrapers that you may not have thought of. I use them a lot for cutting--they are the BEST implement I've found for cutting pizza, brownies, bark-type candy. Just push straight down on the dough scraper and pull straight up. You get the cleanest cuts--much neater than using a knife.

For $5--you can hardly go wrong. If you decide you want another one later, you'll still find uses for the plastic one.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

>Just push straight down on the dough scraper and pull straight up. Good tip, Azzalea. I use mine that way all the time for cutting lasagna, kedgaree, kugel, anything with that sort of consistency.

I have two, one with a metal blade and bamboo handle (which, btw, predates the current fad for bamboo); the other all stainless. Used to have a plastic one but found it unsuitable, but maybe the modern ones will do the job better.

For using metal ones on stainless or marble, round off the sharp corners and you should eliminate any worries about scratching.

• Josh
    17 years ago

I have a stainless with wood handle...goes in top rack DW. I use it mostly to gather up diced or chopped veggies..much safer for me than using knife, and holds a lot more so I don't spill as much transferring to pot. Handy little gadget. josh

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Question: Does anyone use them for working with dough? I never have, but find them useful for all sorts of tasks.

Josh, I don't find them particularly safer for that purpose. But they sure do hold a lot more than my knives.

• dmlove
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have a stainless with wood handle...goes in top rack DW. I use it mostly to gather up diced or chopped veggies..much safer for me than using knife, and holds a lot more so I don't spill as much transferring to pot. Handy little gadget. josh

What you need is a prep taxi! It holds a ton and has sides. Now THAT is a handy little gadget (I have one and it's great).

Here is a link that might be useful: Prep Taxi

• lindac
    17 years ago

I use my dough scraper for working with dough all the time. Not sure I could make biscotti without it.
    Linda c

• Josh
    17 years ago

Gardenlad, My scraper must be 25-30 years old and is rounded a bit on the corners and has never been sharp enough to cut a finger. Maybe the new ones are sharper-bladed? I do use mine for dough scraping, slicing, plus other things like cooked cornbread, brownies.

dmlove, that preptaxi (great name!) is neat but my smaller gadget is easy to store and that's important to me...I just have to make more "trips"...LOL josh

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Sorry, Josh. I didn't mean to imply that the dough scrapers were dangerous. Just the opposite. I have never cut myself using a knife as a caddy for chopped stuff. Which makes the dough scraper neither safer nor less safe.

Which I use depends on quantity. If there's enough involved to seriously overflow a knife blade I reach for the dough scraper.