Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Induction cookware

Posted by richealey (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 1, 11 at 16:40

I'm having a GE profile induction cooktop installed soon and need to upgrade our cookware. I've looked through the induction cookware posts here but most of them on here are really old. I'm assuming the manufacturers have updated some of their products for the induction market by now. I'd like to hear from induction cooks on the cookware you're using. Before I go buy a new set it would be great to know how well it works and is it buzz / hum free. I'll most likely be shopping at Macy's as my wife works there and we get the employee discount.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Induction cookware

I use various pieces depending on what I am doing. My dutch oven is Le Cruset and works great. I also have some All Clad. I'm thinking about trying a piece or two of Scanpan CTX as my husband is looking for a non-stick saucepan. Congrats on the induction cooktop. Had a 36" Miele and had to move to Seattle. Now renting a house with a gas cooktop. I hate gas now and can't wait to be able to buy a house and return to induction.

o

This is a nice set, however not at Macys.

Here is a link that might be useful: 18/10 stainless steel, the copper-bonded 5-ply

o

We have 3 Cooktek double induction hobs and use All-Clad Stainless tri-ply, a steel wok, Cuisinart tri-ply skillet and cast iron that work well and just purchased some tri=ply stainless steel from Regal Ware. The new cookware is a close out of a private label line and is a great value. Not the most beautiful pots and pans (they look commercial and are heavy) but they work great on induction and will be easy to clean and they are made in Wisconsin. Here is a link to the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marcus ware closeout

o

I really miss my Scanpans. They don't work with my induction. I love, love, love my new de Buyer pans. They aren't much to look at, but man do they make a nice omelet or fritata.

o

I too was missing my Scanpan omelette pan when I installed the induction cooktop. After a couple of years of using a Sears house-labeled pan the seems to be a Farberware Millenium made pan, and generally being unhappy. I finally got a Scanpan CTX omelette pan a year and a half ago.

Since then I've used it virtually every morning for eggs and I can still fry an egg in it without using a drop of oil without having the egg stick.

Their pans are pricey enough that I only have the one but I've been really happy with it.

-Bob

o

I, too, have just ordered a GE Profile induction slide in range and am so excited and can't wait to use it. I do have to purchase some new cookware and would like some suggestions on something mid price range that is proven to work well on induction. The only induction ready pans I have is a Lodge cast iron 12 inch skillet which I use fairly frequently for its nonstick quality, and have just ordered a Lodge color enameled square grill pan. I also just purchased an induction ready Schulte Ufer 5 qt. dutch oven from TJ Maxx at a tremendously great price which should work well for soups and pasta.
My current cookware, which I like and am so used to, is mostly Farberware classic and I would really miss the 10 1/2 inch high-sided skillet from that as it is my "go to" pan for just about everything, so that is a must to be replaced. Also needing replacement is the rest of the Farberware set (1,2 and 3 qt. saucepans), and a smaller 8" fry pan. I really like Farberware not only because it has lasted me 30 years and still perfect, but I really like the shape and size (not too long) of the handles.
I do not like any nonstick pans at all for health reasons, which is why I changed to the cast iron pan, so would go for more cast iron plus more stainless steel. Is there a good brand that works well on induction that is stainless with comfortable, not too long handles? Would consider mix and matching brands/pieces, do not need a whole matching set, unless it is more cost effective.

o

Since yo like Farberware, you might like their Millenium, which works well on induction, and doesn't cost the world. I use three of their frying pans which are Teflon lined, but they have them in plain steel as well.

o

Leel: Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to find the Millenium line in one of the housewares department stores and see if it is comfortable for me. Somehow I just feel guilty not considering All Clad, Cuisinart, or similar priced, as those seem to be the brand of choice on these forums. On the other hand, I would also feel guilty spending that money if there are other options out there that are proven to work just as well. I am not a French gourmet cook by any means, most of my repertoire of recipes are simple comfort foods handed down from my mother and grandmother (who used gas btw). As I am getting this new induction technology, it makes me nervous thinking that the brand is going make more of a difference than with a plain electric stove. But I just could not pass up the opportunity to convert to this thinking I would really kick myself in a few months/years down the road wishing I had gotten induction when had the chance. It really makes sense to me, especially since I've always wanted gas but do not have that option. We are remodeling the kitchen and I plan to keep the new appliances, especially the stove, for a long time. My current stove is almost 30 years old!

o

I love my 3 qt. Farberware Milennium stainless pot. I had it before I got my new induction cooktop:it is one of the few pans from pre-reno days that I could use on my induction.

Check out Macy's own brands for nicely priced induction ready cookware, esp for pasta and non fussy dishes. You don't want heavy pots for pasta-not necessary to have clad up the sides for soups, pasta, stews, braises. A cheaper disc bottom, as opposed to pricier side clad ply layers, works better for braises. That's per fancy cookware sites who manufacture clad and disc bottom cookware, not me. I dont have the scientific lab to evaluate the difference.

Also, Ikea's cookware doesn't make noise or vibrate and is induction ready.

So check TJ Marshall's, Ikea and Macy, and of course Walmart's Tramontina and Better Homes and Gardens.

o

Ibought my Farberware Millenium at Kohl's on sale, plus I had a 30% off coupon--they practically GAVE them to me!

o

I love my 3 qt. Farberware Milennium stainless pot. I had it before I got my new induction cooktop:it is one of the few pans from pre-reno days that I could use on my induction.

Check out Macy's own brands for nicely priced induction ready cookware, esp for pasta and non fussy dishes. You don't want heavy pots for pasta-not necessary to have clad up the sides for soups, pasta, stews, braises. A cheaper disc bottom, as opposed to pricier side clad ply layers, works better for braises. That's per fancy cookware sites who manufacture clad and disc bottom cookware, not me. I dont have the scientific lab to evaluate the difference.

Also, Ikea's cookware doesn't make noise or vibrate and is induction ready.

So check TJ Marshall's, Ikea and Macy, and of course Walmart's Tramontina and Better Homes and Gardens.

o

We ended up buying the new Circulon Symmetry set on sale from Macys and have been very happy with them. The bonus " Everything Pan" was not induction ready but I contacted Meyer and they agreed to swap it out with the Symmetery Stir Fry. Meyer's online store is PotsandPans.com BTW. We bought a Copco kettle from Target that works great. It has a nice loud whistle, and the thumb spout opener is in a convenient location. We love the GE Profile cooktop but I have to admit after having the old ring style for so long the glass top makes us nervous. We're afraid to set hot pans out of the oven on it. We always put some oven mitts on top of the glass first.

o

Just to clarify, most of my pots and pans that I got for the new induction cooktop are Sears labeled pans that seem to be identical to the one Farberware Millenium pan that came for free with the cooktop. (except for the logo stamped on the bottom of the pans.)

Most of them are not non-stick. I have been very happy overall with the pans, with the exception, noted above, of the small non-stick omelette pan which has lost most of its non-stick-ness.

o

We have mostly Le Creuset enameled cast iron and All-Clad stainless. Both work great and will last forever, but the All-Clad - every damn piece of it! - buzzes annoyingly on induction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here