Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

Update on Toaster Oven

goldgirl
18 years ago

Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous toaster oven vs. toaster post!

I ended up going with the Krups FBC1 and so far am very pleased. I can toast 4 slices of bread in about 3 minutes, obviously longer than with a regular toaster. However, the slower toasting actually works for us, because we're usually cooking eggs, etc. at the same time, and the toast doesn't end up getting done too soon.

Today I heated up some leftover calzone. I would normally never use the regular oven for that, and instead opt for the microwave. What a pleasure to actually have crispy crust, instead of rubber! And it didn't take that much longer than the microwave.

I'm so *not* used to having this handy appliance, that I'm actually having trouble remembering it's there. I need to get a few oven-safe dishes sized appropriately.

If any of you have suggestions for specific cooking you do with your toaster oven, please pass them on!

Comments (7)

• Deb__H
    18 years ago

Smallest size Bar Pan stone from Pampered Chef is unbelievable in a toaster oven. I bought the toaster oven because I had the stone, not the other way around!!! Great for reheating single slice of pizza, calzone, or one serving of fries. Even my kids have gotten into heating stuff for themselves in the toaster oven.

Deb in PA

• kbuzbee
    18 years ago

Deb, what are the dimensions on that stone??

Thanks

Ken

• goldgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ken - I just checked www.pamperedchef.com - measurements of the small bar pan are 6.25 x 8.75. I measured the inside of the Krups - you were the one that recommended it I think - and there's plenty of room.

• kbuzbee
    18 years ago

Thanks goldgirl. Yes, I'm liking my Krups TO a lot. I keep hoping to find a 10"x10" stoneware piece. That would fit it perfectly!! (I know, I want too much!). 6.25 x 8.75 isn't too bad. I was wondering about taking a full size pizza stone and cutting it down to 10"x10".... What do you think??

Ken

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

I got a 7" x 11" brownie pan (Martha Stewart brand) at K-mart that fits nicely in my Cuisinart toaster oven for baking ribs in BBQ sauce or roasting halved red potatoes. I also found several over-proof oval, shallow baking (au gartin-style) pans at the dollar store - cheap! Those are good for baking one or two portions of fish. I use the Corning Grab-its for heating up leftovers when I don't want to use the microwave.

And lastly, the 10" pizza screens fit my toaster oven when I want to bake just one pizza. I take a couple of quarry tiles out of the large oven, place them on the rack in the toaster oven, heat the TO, and bake my homemade pizza on the screen which lays on the tiles.

If you need, write down the dimensions of your new toaster oven and keep it with you when you shop for pans. Rectangle and oval shapes are a good choice.

• cupcake7
    17 years ago

My old KRUPS toaster oven, which I loved broke down at last. I want a new one but I can't find any ovens that don't have the nonstick (TEFLON)interior. For safety's sake, I'm looking either for enamel or stainless steel interior. I've only found DeLonghi and it hasn't gotten very good reviews on Amazon.

• mahnrut
    17 years ago

I have had several different makes of 6 slice toaster ovens over the years and use them a lot to bake and cook as we are only two now. The problem is that the chromed pans that come with these ovens all have been such bad quality that they rust very soon if you are not careful to dry them immediately they are washed. I wrote to Cuisinart - the maker of my latest toaster oven - suggesting they provide a better quality pan as their ovens are around $100. I have scoured the internet for a stainless pan of this size (off the top of my head I think it is 13" wide) with no luck. If anyone has found one I would love to hear from them. I do have other pans that I use in this toaster oven but the pan that came with the oven makes use of the whole space and the other pans I have don't.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH