Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning Stainless Cookware

Posted by Holly73 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 7, 04 at 15:40

Can anyone please share with me how you clean burnt residue off the bottom of your stainless steel cookware? I left the flame too high with little liquid in the pan, and have this awful brown residue that doesn't seem to come off. I used some liquid Barkeepers Friend and scrubbed with a brush, but it only took some of it off. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning Stainless Cookware

If the residue is on the inside put some baking soda and a little water (less than an inch) and you can deglaze it by boiling.

On the bottom outside elbow grease and and a steel scrubber. Barkeepers friend is too gentle. Cookware that is used gets scratched and stained. No big deal....its functional not decorative.

o

As a regular *oops* person who needs to clean such items, I'd agree with Wildchild. Baking Soda & water, brought to a low boil & simmered a few minutes usually does the trick.

HTH
Ciao Holly

o

Try Dawn Power Dissolver. Will take that right off! People are raving about it for cleaning their cookware on other boards!

o

You might try regular BarKeepers Friend. I use both and find the powder is much better for cleaning tough things.

o

"Try Dawn Power Dissolver. Will take that right off! People are raving about it for cleaning their cookware on other boards!"

I used the Power Dissolver on my Calphalon pan one time and it dulled the finish (I think I left it on too long). Be careful.

o

I used that Citrus orange cleaner.

o

In regards to Bar Keepers Friend.. is one better than the other.. powder vs. liquid?

o

Good old oven cleaner works great on burned on stuff on stainless steel. And on corningware and pyrex, too.

o

Try Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner. Spray and let it sit over night. It has worked for me in the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner

o
Kleen King

I forgot to mention Kleen King. I have used Kleen King Stainless Steel and Copper Cleaner most of my life to clean/polish my Revere Ware pots and pans. It is a great cleaner, but sometimes the Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner is required to do the job.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kleen King

o

Well, I have the Calphalon 3-ply stainless steel and according to their recommendation, never use oven cleaner.

I use the regular powder Bar Keeper's for all my stainless steel and it works great. As for liquid vs. powder, I compare it to Comet, the powder cleans better than the liquid. However, you'd need to rinse the leftover powder residue more than the liquid.

o

Hello,

Have you tried everything suggested in this thread.....If it does not work you can also try it by putting a water and heat it until it boils up. Remember not to let it dry, leave the hot water in your cookware and put some diswashing liquid. You'll notice that it will slowly remove the dirt from your cookware. I hope this helps you. Thanks.

o

'nother vote for Bar Keeper's Friend. Even wipes out hard water spots and rainbow heat marks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here