Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly73_gw

Cleaning Stainless Cookware

Holly73
19 years ago

Can anyone please share with me how you clean burnt residue off the bottom of your stainless steel cookware? I left the flame too high with little liquid in the pan, and have this awful brown residue that doesn't seem to come off. I used some liquid Barkeepers Friend and scrubbed with a brush, but it only took some of it off. Help!

Comments (13)

• wildchild
    19 years ago

If the residue is on the inside put some baking soda and a little water (less than an inch) and you can deglaze it by boiling.

On the bottom outside elbow grease and and a steel scrubber. Barkeepers friend is too gentle. Cookware that is used gets scratched and stained. No big deal....its functional not decorative.

• holly_bc
    19 years ago

As a regular *oops* person who needs to clean such items, I'd agree with Wildchild. Baking Soda & water, brought to a low boil & simmered a few minutes usually does the trick.

HTH
    Ciao Holly

• blondelle
    19 years ago

Try Dawn Power Dissolver. Will take that right off! People are raving about it for cleaning their cookware on other boards!

• raybeck
    19 years ago

You might try regular BarKeepers Friend. I use both and find the powder is much better for cleaning tough things.

• oaa9898
    19 years ago

"Try Dawn Power Dissolver. Will take that right off! People are raving about it for cleaning their cookware on other boards!"

I used the Power Dissolver on my Calphalon pan one time and it dulled the finish (I think I left it on too long). Be careful.

• vlys
    19 years ago

I used that Citrus orange cleaner.

• grnidkjun
    14 years ago

In regards to Bar Keepers Friend.. is one better than the other.. powder vs. liquid?

• donna_loomis
    14 years ago

Good old oven cleaner works great on burned on stuff on stainless steel. And on corningware and pyrex, too.

• debs3
    14 years ago

Try Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner. Spray and let it sit over night. It has worked for me in the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner

• debs3
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention Kleen King. I have used Kleen King Stainless Steel and Copper Cleaner most of my life to clean/polish my Revere Ware pots and pans. It is a great cleaner, but sometimes the Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner is required to do the job.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kleen King

• ntt_hou
    14 years ago

Well, I have the Calphalon 3-ply stainless steel and according to their recommendation, never use oven cleaner.

I use the regular powder Bar Keeper's for all my stainless steel and it works great. As for liquid vs. powder, I compare it to Comet, the powder cleans better than the liquid. However, you'd need to rinse the leftover powder residue more than the liquid.

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

Hello,

Have you tried everything suggested in this thread.....If it does not work you can also try it by putting a water and heat it until it boils up. Remember not to let it dry, leave the hot water in your cookware and put some diswashing liquid. You'll notice that it will slowly remove the dirt from your cookware. I hope this helps you. Thanks.

• joeekaitis
    14 years ago

'nother vote for Bar Keeper's Friend. Even wipes out hard water spots and rainbow heat marks.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert