Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
copper cookware

Posted by wildplum (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 29, 06 at 14:55

I am a bit confused. It is widely recommended that copper pans be lined with tin or stainless steel. Yet an unlined copper jam pan is regarded as being the absolute best pan for cooking jam. What gives? Having just received such a jam pan, I would like to know why this is so. Also, unlined copper mixing bowls are also widely used. What else can unlined copper cookware be used for? What are the rules for using unlined cooper?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: copper cookware

Sugar and egg whites do well with a little copper in the mix....tomato sauce does not.
It's a matter of what the pan will be used for.
Linda C

o

The reason for lining them is reaction t acidic foods. Copper like cast iron is highly reactive, and if you cook acidic foods or liquids in them will leave a nasty taste to your food and cause extreme color changes to the food and pan.

I am no expert but my understanding a copper linned pan or ketle is ideal for candy making assuming it is not acidic. Jams could be problematic with the acidic issues.

o

Old time jelly kettles and apple butter kettles were traditionally copper...
I have eaten apple butter out of an unlined copper kettle...tasted fine, and didn't seem to hurt me....and wow! Was that kettle ever clean on the inside!! That apple butter removed every trace of tarnish!
Linda C

o

"That apple butter removed every trace of tarnish!"

That would mean that all the tarnish ended up in the apple butter. :-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here