Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

What are the measurements of Dutch Ovens?

caflowerluver
17 years ago

What I mean is, what quart size equals actual inches like height and width? Take LeCreuset DOs, how much more room do you get inches wise in a 5 qt. vs a 4.5 qt. or a 4qt.? How tall are the big ones like the 6qt. and 8 qt.? How about the ovals? I have storage issues so trying to get the most for the money.

Thanks.

Clare

Comments (16)

• dmlove
    17 years ago

Clare, I wasn't sure if you knew this, but there is (or at least used to be) a LeCreuset outlet in Gilroy.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

dmlove - Thanks, I think it is still there but that is at least an 1.5 hr. drive for me each way. I am way up in the mts. I was thinking I might get it cheaper on ebay. So that is why I asked about the measurements, since I don't have any close by to measure for myself.
    Clare

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Even with tight storage space, IMO it's always better to get the largest one you can afford.

Doesn't Le Cruset give measurements on its web site?

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

gardenlad - I couldn't find the measurements on their site. That is the first place I looked. Here is the page for the 5.5. Maybe somehow I missed it.

Would someone measure their DOs for me please.
    Thanks.
    Clare

• fairegold
    17 years ago

If you decide on an outing to Gilroy, make a long shopping list and make it a real trip. And let me know, and I'll meet you for lunch!

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Hmmmmmmm? Alternate plan B: Contact Le Creuset and ask them what the measurements are, explaining why you need the info.

Meanwhile, for what it's worth, my 40-year old 4+ quarter measures 9 inches across by 4 inches deep. It was part of a set we got for our wedding, and I have no idea what the official capacity is. I just measured it, and it takes slightly more than a cup more than 4 quarts to fill it. Do doubt the French would call that 4.5 quarts.

Although it earned its keep for many years, it's really on the small size, as even a family-sized stew barely fits in it. The smaller pot that came with the set saw more use, because it was perfect for sauces and the like.

Mostly I use my larger, regular cast-iron stuff. I could measure some of them (and their capacities) for you, but don't know how comparable they would be the the LC.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

fairegold - I was thinking maybe the week of Jan. 2-5 and you are right, I would spend several hours and hit all the Outlet stores to make it worth the drive. I will let you know if I decide to go.

gardenlad - Thanks for the measurements. I wonder if they would respond if I ask them for the measurements. I guess it can't hurt to try.
    I can justify maybe getting 2 of them so trying to figure out what ones would be the best to have. There is only the 3 of us so I don't make huge amounts of food at one time. So don't know if I need the really big ones.

Clare

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Just to put some perspective on it, Clare. Recipes that say "in a three quart kettle," or words to that effect would barely leave stirring room in the 4+ quart Le Creuset. So were it me, I'd get at least the 5 or 5.5 quart version.

Also, have you checked some of the other brands? Even Lodge now offers a line of porcelin-enameled cast iron. It's a little less expensive, to begin with. And there are no country of origin issues.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

gardenlad - Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that too. I would get either a 5qt or a 6qt. You can always make a small batch in a large pot but not the reverse. I have checked into Lodge at Target but they are out of the size I want online and our store doesn't carry them but will keep it in mind. I am in no big rush.

Clare

• blondelle
    17 years ago

Look at the stock #, and note the # after the hyphen. On that oven it's 26. It's the size in centimeters. Multiply that number by .39, and you will will get the diameter of the oven, give or take a few fractions of an inch. The #26 is about 10 1/8 inches across. The # after the hyphen is the size of all the LC pieces.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

blondelle - Thanks for the tip! I will have to write that down.
    Clare

• velodoug
    17 years ago

"The # after the hyphen is the size of all the LC pieces."

Interesting. I measured my 1-1/4 LC saucepan and the number after the hyphen (16) is indeed the diameter at the rim. I also measured my 5 quart oval oven and found that the number after the hyphen (29) is the long dimension, again measured at the rim.

• kdidl
    17 years ago

I just got the Le Creuset 7 1/4 qt round dutch oven for Christmas. So excited, I've asked for it every year for at least 3 or 4 years now. Anyway, on my box it says that it is 11 inches wide. When I did the math as blondelle suggested (# after the hyphen), it is the same.

The 7 1/4 qt seems like a good versatile size that could hold alot and looks great just sitting on the cooktop all the time. Kathy

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

velodoug - Isn't it interesting what you can learn on these forums.

kdidl - I think I will get one large one, 7-8qt, and one smaller one, 4-5qt, because both would be useful. Maybe like you I will have to ask for several years to get a LeCreuset for Christmas. Until then I will try the cheaper ones and see how they work.
    Clare

• kdidl
    17 years ago

Clare, yes, I agree that both sizes would be really useful. I have an oval LC (4 1/4 qt) with a lid that doesn't have the knob in the middle. You have to use oven mitts and lift the lid off. I don't remember what it is called, but the lid also doubles as a small casserole dish. I like it and it is particularly good for roasting chicken with the oval shape, but I really wanted a round DO with the knob handle. That is so convenient.

I struggled with size too. I waffled between the 7 1/4 qt size that I got and a 9 qt. The price was a factor, it just gets so expensive and I thought that I would use the smaller one on a more regular basis than a larger pot that would be used less frequently.

They are so nice looking that I plan to just keep it up on the cooktop. I got the wild Kiwi color (lime green)! Good luck to you in your quest for the LC! It is worth waiting for I believe. Kathy

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    17 years ago

kdidl - Thanks for the input. Someday my LC ship will come in - I hope!
    Clare