Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cooks4one

Meat Mallet

cooks4one
18 years ago

This is my first time to post. I'm in the market for a meat mallet (pounder). Was wondering what kind to get. Any suggestions? I once had a wooden mallet but think a metel one would work better.

Thanks, Mary

Comments (16)

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

Mary, I have this one. I like it for the offset handle, and it's heavy enough to do a good job. I also have a rubber mallet that works almost as well, that I picked up in the camping department at Wally World...

Here is a link that might be useful: Norpro meat pounder

• cooks4one
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Claire...I was looking at that one at Williams Sonoma's website but wasn't sure how it would work. Are you able to put the Norpro meat pounder in the dishwasher? Thanks, Mary

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

Yes, it can go in the dishwasher, which is great. I always put my chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap to pound it, just so there's no ''splattering''...

• HanArt
    18 years ago

I use an OXO.

Here is a link that might be useful: meat mallet

• cooks4one
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It looks like I'll be ordering one. Thanks for your advise.

• brucedelta
    18 years ago

I saw someone use the Norpro meat pounder that Clair recomended of the food network, maybe Emril or Iron Chef Flay. In any case I thought it looked like the right tool and made a mental note to buy one.

• kbuzbee
    18 years ago

Claire de Luna - two questions:

1: It says it's cast iron but it doesn't look like cast iron in that photo??

2: Is it flat on the bottom? I can't tell in that photo (or dimpled or notched or...?

Thanks

Ken

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

It's flat on the bottom. The meat pounder is heavy and coated with metal that looks like stainless steel.

• kbuzbee
    18 years ago

I've never used a meat mallet but I always had the perception they had these knobby things that lightly punctured the meat. I guess that's why I've never understood doing this in plastic wrap. I can see being able to do this with a flat mallet. So it works well???

TA

Ken

• cooks4one
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't use the mallet (pounder) to tenderize -- I use it to flatten the meat into a thin cutlet. Using the plastic wrap keeps it from getting messy. I use something else to tenderize -- don't know what the name of it is since I bought it years ago in England.

By the way, I was using a wooden mallet/pounder which I'm replacing. I just ordered the metal one Clare recommended.
    Mary

• kbuzbee
    18 years ago

Oh, I see. That makes more sense. I guess I never tried to make anything flat before.... May try it someday. The one Clare recommended looks like the way to go.

Thanks!

Ken

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Some mallets, like the one I linked, have two sides ... one tenderizes, the other flattens.

• claire_de_luna
    18 years ago

Yes, HanArt's mallet has the side to tenderize (usually tougher cuts of beef). I have a small cast iron one that fits my hand really well. I find that I use the flat pounder more often these days, and it's great for cooking chicken in a hurry!

• HanArt
    18 years ago

If you have a small cast iron skillet there's probably no need for a meat mallet. It'll do the job in a flash. Big surface area, nice handle, good weight ....

• kbuzbee
    18 years ago

I have a 13 1/2 inch Lodge. That should be heavy enough ;-)

Ken

• lindac
    18 years ago

I have been known to use a hammer when nothing else presented itself...
    Wash it well,wrap in plastic and *bam* *bam* *bam* LOL!
    never thought of the skillet!
    Another use for Le cruset!
    Linda C

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor