Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small appliances something else to consdier

Posted by puzzlefan (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 12:48

Over the last ten years, we have gone through too many toasters and too many coffee pots to make it seem foolish to buy anything but a cheap throwaway. After reading my morning science newsletter, I may have to reconsider. It has been known for many years that it is not safe to heat food in plastic in the microwave due to the transfer of BPA and PCB's. Researchers are now finding that coffee pots with plastic as part of their construction (as are most cheap ones) also can contaminate the coffee with lead, arsenic and trace mercury. I guess that is understandable knowing where they are manufactured and knowing importers really don't care that much for anything but the price. Maybe I'll have to start looking at resale shops for the old style stainless percolators! :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small appliances something else to consdier

I hear you and totally agree. But, but....percolator coffee? Might not be so good, but better than ingesting dangerous chemicals. French press might work too.

Here's a link to one on ebay. The style of those pots was very elegant. My mom used to keep hers so shiny and pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: coffee pot

o

One of the big knocks performance-wise on cheapo coffee makers is that they don't get hot enough. Since they don't get anywhere near the boiling point of water, it is not certain if they even get hot enough to trigger any breakdown of their plastic parts.

o

Is anything made of metal anymore?

o

Percolator coffee is wonderful and makes great hot coffee. French press are only good for a few cups at a time and don't keep coffee hot. I have both a Sunbeam and Farberware electric perk, espresso stove top, and stove top percolator. I fully believe in buying used as much as possible, the materials are much nicer and the design/manufacturing is better too. Only 3 of my 6 coffeemakers are used because it's hard to find them...

catlover: made of metal ? no unfortunately. But Italian manufacturers still make nice metal coffeemakers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here