Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Best 'mass market' coffee maker?

marys1000
14 years ago

I'm tired of the coffee maker have, have had it for years and there is something about the bottom that traps liquid and makes a mess.

I'm not interested in a french press or percolator etc.

I would like something that takes a gold basket

Is fairly simple, no real requirements for timers etc. I'm single so doesn't have to be big

Isn't all plastic, don't like heated plastic

Fairly common, commonish glass coffee pot a plus because I break them every so often

Like quality and am willing to pay for it, just don't feel the need for anything too exotic or big or hard to find

Comments (4)

• User
    14 years ago

I have a four cup Mr. Coffee, the coffee is HOT, it takes a gold basket, the carafe is easy to replace, you can get it with or without a timer, and either way, it's under $20, so you can't go wrong.

• calliope
    14 years ago

After twenty years of using a Bunn, I just got a Hamilton Beach Brew Master. They will take a permanent basket if you want to use one.

Don't want to mess with a carafe at all? That's the main reason I bought this one. The coffee is dispensed right into a cup or your own pitcher by pressing it against a lever.

You can pull off a cup as it's brewing, too. It can be set to brew a small quantity on the 1-4 cup setting. It fills from a hopper right inside the machine you lift out, so you don't have to have a separate pitcher to fill it. It has a glass level so you can tell how much coffee is still in the heating chamber, and you can fill it the night before and set it to brew and be warm and waiting for you the next morning, and best of all it automatically shuts the warming element off after two hours, in case you forget. No more cracked carafes or burnt coffee.

Sorry, it's plastic with a stainless look front. But has a lot of good features and I can live with that.

• inter_alia
    14 years ago

Got a $30 Mr Coffee 12 cup at CostCo about 4 years ago for work. It has worked great, like the way the coffee tastes a lot. Two at work like the taste and bought for home, MIL also bought and likes.

• msgenie516
    14 years ago

I went through 3 Cuisinarts and didn't like them at all. Just bought a Capresso and love it! It quickly makes very hot, great tasting coffee and it's a sleek looking addition to the kitchen, too! I did a lot of research before making this purchase, as I didn't want to be unhappy again and have to throw ANOTHER coffee maker in the trash.

It looks like mostly metal but there is some plastic on the inside. It comes with a gold filter but I prefer to use the #4 cone paper filters because I think clean-up is easier. But that's just me!

It is more expensive than most. I paid about $150.00 with shipping on eBay. But, with all the trouble and disappointments I've had in the past, it's worth it to me.

It also has an internal charcoal water filter and a light that flashes to let you know it needs to be changed. If your tap water is filtered, it is not needed. It can be programmed to start at a desired time if you ever have the need. The water boiler (where the water is heated, not the tank) is stainless steel, not aluminum like most others. Most coffee makers are 900 watts, but this one is 1200 watts which, to me, translates to hotter coffee.

Mine came with a thermal carafe, which is metal and not breakable. However, I'm sure there is the possibility of damage if it were dropped. Replacement thermal carafes are available for purchase, but they are expensive (around $50.00). I chose the thermal carafe as I don't like coffee that is heated on a hot plate and quickly becomes bitter.

It only comes in one size, 10 cup.

I hope this helps!