Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cook eggs on cast iron

Posted by momof3mhd (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 2, 08 at 12:32

I love to use cast iron to cook. However, most of time when I cook eggs on cast iron pan, I will have some small black spots stick to the bottom of the eggs. I don't know what's wrong.

Is it SAFE to eat the eggs with the black spots? Do I have a bad cast iron pan?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cook eggs on cast iron

It's probably safe...even if it's iron, most of us can use a little extra in our diets. But, what IS it?

I sometimes get black flakes if my pan isn't clean before I grease it and heat it before I put it away. I'm just careless, but I've noticed some people think they will ruin the seasoning of their pans if they wash them. If you happen to be one of those, wash it! With soap! And a nylon scouring pad if you have to! (I had to say it, just in case. No offense!)

Now, assuming it's clean, how is it seasoned? Could the seasoning be flaking off? Any chance there's rust under it? (This is a plain cast iron pan, right?)

o
RE: cook eggs on cast iron

I have cast iron pans and wouldn't think of putting them away without washing them11....I scour them with SOS pads when they need it also. Doesn't hurt them at all if they have been seasoned right. But I would not use cleansing powder on them such as Comet, etc. I too get black flecks sometimes when I fry eggs and I think it's iron which I'm sure doesn't hurt at all. If you think about it, there are probably flecks on meat when you fry that too but it's not noticeable. BT

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here