Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you use to cook foods in microwave & oven

Posted by ginnyginny (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 12:05

I love my old pyrex casserole bowls with lids and use them all the time to cook vegies in the microwave and bake casseroles in the oven. I see that those wonderful items are no longer available and may even be dangerous at high heat - explode.

What are you using for those purposes now?

Thanks
Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you use to cook foods in microwave & oven

In the micro, I use any micro-safe plate/bowl that doesn't get hot (I try to avoid them even if they say they're safe in the micro). I always prefer to cover w/wax paper, never plastic wrap, it allows the food to breathe a little when it cooks, rather than just melting or blowing up & the food goes everywhere.

In the oven I use white Corningware casserole dishes. I know some people love baking in the glass pans, I've never taken to them for some reason so can't comment on them.

o
RE: What do you use to cook foods in microwave & oven

Unless cooking for a crowd, always do summer corn-on-the-cob in microwave. Great sweet corn is always best went it's bound to be screaming HOT outside... not when ya want a big pot of boiling water on stove. I have a rectangular-ish glass casserole (pretty sure it's Pampered Chef?). Will easily hold 2-4 ears of corn. I put 2-3 T of water in bottom, cover with sheet of wax paper or parchment, and hold that down with one of those plastic covers meant to cover stuff in microwave when reheating. If only 1-2 ears, will go on high for 1-1.5 minutes each. If 3-4, will time about the same, but move around about half way thru time. Usually let sit a few minutes before attempting to butter liberally, S&P and eat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here