Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaherbmom

Ready to buy GOOD cookware, recommends?

vaherbmom
20 years ago

After 24 years of marriage, I am ready to buy some really good cookware.

I do alot of cooking, but I'm not a gourmet. Just your everyday stuff for a large, active family.

I think I want nonstick, a very reliable brand that will last the rest of my life. I like the glass lids on some of the lines--do you like this feature? STay-cool handles are a must. Ease of care very important.

Any suggestions very welcome! Thank you!

Comments (42)

• kframe19
    20 years ago

It's not exactly non-stick in that it has the teflon coating, but I do like Calphalon. In a few years you won't have the problems with the non-stick layer peeling off from nicks and the like. I've done some stupid things with my Calphalon and it's still been very easy to clean.

For moderate every day non-stick use, I have to admit I like T-Fal. I've gotten very good wear out of the frying pans and the sauce pots. The big dutch oven/stock pot is showing its age, though, and starting to peel, simply because I use it so very hard.

• missy7
    20 years ago

I am not sure, but I don't think you will be able to find a non stick and have it last a lifetime. All non sticks peel and come off, at least that is what I have found. I have not tried Scanpan though, it might last longer than most, but I am not sure. I do have Calphalon and love it, but the non stick does not last on it either.

• homepro01
    20 years ago

My suggestion is that you purchase a few samples of some brands that you may like and give them a try. I think everybody likes different things. Personally I have All Clad, Le Creuset and a Carbon Steel Wok that I love. My All Clad nonstick is really tough though. You will have to find the mix that works for you. I also don't like sets because you end up with pieces you never use. Looks at the All Clad special pieces that are usually very cheap, All Clad and otehr brands have these too.

• lindac
    20 years ago

All non stick does not peel and come off.
    Try the better quality cookware....like Meyer Professional....I find those pans last easily 15 years.....and what more do you want for about $20 bucks?
    I have some enamel cast iorn ware that has been going strong for 45 years......and I'm still using the Revere ware from 1957.
    I just tossed a Calphalon fry pan in the garbage!...The handle got hot, the rivits that held the handle were hard to clean....and food stuck.....
    I just said "Buh-by"....and tossed it. Went back to my grandmother's Wagner Ware cast iron.
    Linda C

• lythonde
    20 years ago

I know you're not gonna like this, but I have to plug cast iron. : ) If you really want cookware that will last the rest of your life and won't cost very much, at least consider a few pieces of cast iron. Properly seasoned, it will have properties similar to a non-stick, and it really isn't that hard to care for. Really! :) Le Creuset is, of course, gorgeous beyond compare, but I think Lodge probably works just as well and is a fraction of the cost. Okay, stepping off my cast iron soap box now.... Good luck in your cookware search!

• kframe19
    20 years ago

I'm using the cast iron griddle that belonged to my Grandfather's Grandmother...

Grandpa was born in 1904, so his Grandmother was probably born in the 1830s.

As a rough estimate, the griddle was probably made around the time of the Civil War.

• dees_1
    20 years ago

Opinions are nice but remember this is a very personal issue and some hate what others love. Some people like All-Clad, some like Calphalon.

I recommend going to different stores and get the feel of the pans before you buy anything! I'm talking handles, lids, weight etc. Some pans are quite heavy and if you can't lift it in the store, you're not going to lift it at home! I have an eclectic mixture of cookware. When I find what I like, I just hunt around for bargains and buy pieces as I need them.

Here's what I've got...I love every piece I own and use them constantly. I got rid of the stuff I didn't like.
    Commercial Calphalon - Sauce pans, sautese pans, stock pots. I have about 25 different pieces.
    Magnalite Professional - Saute pan, sauce pan, straight sided frying pan, 8" frying pan
    Vollrath (commercial) - 8" non-stick frying pan
    Cuisinart Multiclad - 10" non-stick frying pan
    T-Fal - 12" non-stick frying pan
    LeCreuset - 2 qt Tomato casserole
    Lodge - 12" cast iron skillet

• webwoman
    20 years ago

Think about how you cook and stay away from sets of anything. Each type of material has different strengths and weaknesses and will be good for different things. Cast iron is great for some purposes, but not for, say, sautes where rapid heating and cooling is what you're after. Don't spend money on expensive stock or pasta pots -- for simmering or boiling water, pick up brushed stainless ones at kitchen supply joints. Buy lids there too -- they fit every pro-style pan or pot and cost a lot less than the name brand types. Shop sales. There are often good deals on the web.

An unmatched collection (cast iron for this, tri-clad for that, stainless for something else) is more of a pleasure than a matched set, I think, because each tool is best for its function.

The link below describes pans, pots, and materials.

Here is a link that might be useful: pots and pans

• titan2
    20 years ago

Some pretty good comments so far. I would just like to add my $0.02:

-Non-stick issue: Most folks that are really into cooking (but not necessarily gourmet or professional) claim that everyone needs at least 1 non-stick fry pan for cooking eggs or dishes with eggs in them. BUT they almost uniformly caution against using non-stick for everything else, as you just cannot get the same browning performance as you can with regular pans. Then there is the potential peeling issue. Lastly, non-stick pans are not supposed to be placed under the broiler - they cannot tolerate the higher heat. This is a big disadvantage, since so many cooking techniques call for starting something on the stove and finishing it under the broiler. I do this all the time, especially for seafood and fillet mignon.

-Set versus individual pieces issue: While I completely agree that there may not be one entire set that will do everything well, I do believe that one can't go wrong with buying a basic set of something that you like and then supplementing that with other pieces from the same or entirely different lines down the road. It is a cost effective way to shop for cookware, IMHO. I started out with a 10-piece set of All Clad stainless and since then, have added about 12 more pieces of AC, plus 12 pieces of Le Creuset enameled cast iron (another terrific product).

-Does appearance matter? Will the pots be on display? If so, you might want to consider something in a stainless steel finish, like All Clad. I have had my set of AC stainless (Al core for conductivity; SS for appearance and ease of cleaning) for 6 years now and they still look and perform as if they had never been used. The stay cool handles are nice, plus they go in the dishwasher. As to the glass lids issue, I love the way they look but chose not to get any, as our floors are tile and I worried about breakage. I suppose replacements are available, but what about 20 years from now?

Are you using gas or electric? If electric, is it a coil top or glass/smoothtop? If the latter, then there are other considerations as well. (You cannot use anthing that has copper on the OUTSIDE of the bottom; cannot use glass cookware, such as Visions by Corning; must use only pots that are metal, smooth and 100% flat on the bottom, which eliminates Circulon...)

Anyway, you can't go wrong in buying a good quality set of cookware if you love to cook. I hope this information was helpful to you.

T2

• kframe19
    20 years ago

I agree regarding the purchase of BASIC sets. They're a good foundation on which to build.

My T-Fal started out as a basic set -- small sauce pan with lid, large sauce pan with lid, large dutch oven/sauce pot with lid (invaluable for chili, soup, or spaghetti), and 8" frying pan that uses the same lid as the sauce pot.

I've since added a few items a la carte -- including another frying pan, another large sauce pot.

• Nebs
    20 years ago

I recommend that you visit egullet.com and study their course entitled "Understanding Stovetop Cookware."

Here is a link that might be useful: egullet cookware

• vaherbmom
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks everyone for the recommends. I see it is much wiser to try before I buy, thank you.

I do have and love my cast-iron skillets (I even have a Griswold with cover!) which is one reason I've been turned off by sets which all seem to include "omelet pans" which I don't think I'd ever use. However I can't see cooking pasta in cast iron, or cooking vegetables, etc.

I use stockpots alot--I have a cheapie one that I hate. It takes forever to heat up. I had a Club pot that I used for everything--the finish is worn now and the handle of the lid finally broke off. Now we burn ourselves when we use it.

My dd was helping a family that had a set of All-Clad and she came home and raved about it, but it's not nonstick (right?) and I didn't like the thought of steelwooling my pots to keep them shiny. Or would this ever be necessary?
    thanks again

• missy7
    20 years ago

I don't think you are supposed to use steel wool on All Clad. You can use Bar Keepers Friend.

• homepro01
    20 years ago

I don't use steel wool. For regular washing, I use a blue scrubbie and then if I have some other spots that are a little tough, I use Bar Keepers Friend. It works better than Bon Ami in my opinion.

Good luck!

• leafhopper
    20 years ago

Hands down has to be Scanpan for me. It's not a coated type of nonstick like most of the cheaper brands that eventually peel off. This is ceramic titanium...it's kind of fused to the metal. Just click the "product info" button, it'll tell you all about how they're made, etc. Lifetime warranty, too. I know a site that has them on sale 10% off but they're in BC. Anyway, great product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scanpan Non-stick

• titan2
    20 years ago

The way to keep SS cookware, such as AC, clean and shiny, really pristine looking, is BarKeeper's Friend, a mild cleanser recommended by the manufacturer and available in most supermarkets.

T2

• rommelthedesertfox
    20 years ago

I am looking at buying cookware for my wife who used to be a sous chef. I am looking at All clad ltd and calphalon hard anodized (all not non stick). It seesm there are negatives about calphalon, but some of it seems to be along the lines of old wives tales. What is the real scope on the two lines of cookware? Also what pieces would you buy a non stick (e.g. a pan for eggs)?

• LibertyAndMe
    20 years ago

I agree that a mix of brands and materials is best. I wouldn't get non stick in every pot, just a few select ones that you use for eggs and french toast, stuff like that.

A word about non stick. Most people ruin it by ushing high heat and leaving liquid in it for extended periods of time. Also, using spray oil like PAM destroys the finish. If you read and follow care instructions it should last a whole lot longer, but probably not decades like a good SS pan will.

If you want to look at another brand, try Anolon (made by Meyer). I just got a glasstop (if you have electric you'll have to get glasstop eventually). I need to replace several pans and have found Analon to be the best balanced and has the most comfortable grip (silicone) for me. Anolon Advanced comes in 2 versions, non stick and SS. I'm finding it heats fast, evenly, and cleans up like a dream.

I've got an old set of Le Crueset I'm still using and will never part with. Cast iron is indispensable for some cooking but you don't need many pieces of it to round out your cookware. Also I have my grandmother's cast iron (run through the self cleaning oven to remove rust, then reseasoned).

If you're looking for the pans to really last the rest of your life, perhaps you'd want to go with SS handles so they last as long as the pans they're attached to.

• Lori_R
    20 years ago

I did extensive research before purchasing my latest set of pans. The following link was VERY helpful to me in my decision: http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showtopic=25717 It explains the differences in metal content, etc.

Anyway, my short answer to your question is
    choose the All-Clad LTD,
    which I would have purchased if I didn't prefer nonstick...tough decision. It is the best SS product out there, in my opinion. Now, here's my reasoning.
    #1 - Stainless steel interior, which you will hear highly acclaimed on this forum. (Personally, I prefer nonstick surfaces for low-fat cooking, but that's me. I couldn't bring myself to break away from it.)
    #2 - Thick, anodized aluminum. This thickness provides the best heat conductivity, unless you're willing to go very high grade copper. (Personally, I have a glass top stove, so exterior copper wouldn't work.) There are several tri-ply pan sets, but the aluminum core is much thinner, making the A-C LTD set a superior product. Some have copper cores, but the only ones I've found thick enough are those with it in the base (Emerilware by All-Clad comes to mind; my second choice if I'd gone with SS).
    #3 - ?Anodized Aluminum without NS/SS coating? I've heard anecdotal stories in both directions for Calphalon, good & bad. There are still concerns with using acidic foods in those pans. I saute a lot of tomatoe-based items, so that made me nervous.

During my research, I've found out that many of my friends own Calphalon. They all praise it (unlike some stories on this forum). All of my contacts have the NS surface items & none are over 5yrs old. Perhaps the bad experiences here are with older products. I'm not sure. Oh, avoid "Simply Calphalon" which has hot handles. I may have bought Calphalon Contemporary, if only their 8-pc set included a lid that fit the skillet. To get a saute pan (so I'd have a lid), I would have had to buy the 10-pc for $400, or add a saute pan for even more $$. I compared that to the 10-pc Emerilware & found ....
    -Emerilware & Calphalon had the same thickness.
    -Both have their own NS process/surface.
    -Both have lifetime warranties
    -Calphalon Contemporary has glass lids
    -Emerilware now has a coated exterior that marks up LESS than the etched Calphalon
    -Emerilware @ CutleryandMore.com comes with steamer insert, tools, rebate & tea kettle. ($299 - $50 rebate)

Calphalon's only advantage was the glass lids. I've never had glass lids before & decided it wasn't worth the $150 extra, without the added bonuses.

So, for SS, in my humble opinion, All-Clad LTD is best. I also like Emerilware for all functions but one soup/sauce pan (excellent copper core, but only on bottom).

For NS, I doubt you can beat All-Clad Emerilware for best "bang for your buck." That said, ScanPan sounds AWESOME! I highly recommend checking it out. Unfortunately, I am vain & don't care for it's old, boring look.

• GeddesHouse
    20 years ago

Lots of good info in this thread. I'm not an AC fan (mostly only because the saucepans don't pour well), but Lori sets out solid logic. And I have to agree the AC LTD line is awesome.

If you ever think you want a grill pan, though, I'd highly recommend not even CONSIDERING anything besides Scanpan. It's truly nonstick (so it cleans easily, like AC nonstick), but it's a durable nonstick (not a coating). So unlike AC it won't get ruined with high heat or metal utensils (so you can crank up the heat and poke with that meat fork, even test with a knife, without fear (although I wouldn't recommend using it as a "cutting board")).

I recommend Scanpan also for a wok should you want one of those. Same reasons as above. (Unless you're a purist and would want a "real" one like from an Oriental market.)

Here is a link that might be useful: some of my opinionated recommendations on Amazon

• abgardeneer
    20 years ago

I've very happy with an Italian make, ICM, and their "La Pentole" line - ICM is one of the few manufacturers to still make the three-ply steel-copper-steel bottoms on cookware. The non-stick pans work perfectly, and I've been putting them in the dishwasher to no harm for years. Also, the designs are unassailably stylish, if that counts for you... They are available at some Italian import stores, here.
    Paderno also makes very good quality cookware. Since the factory is located in Prince Edward Island, Canada, this would be a tremendous bargain for US buyers. (Sorry, don't know how to attach two links at once...)

Here is a link that might be useful: ICM website

• phisher
    19 years ago

non stick just will never last a lifetime, some are better than others but they all wear out

• Katy
    19 years ago

Wow! Webwoman, Nebs and Lori_R, thanks for the link to that great site! While I couldn't seem to get into reading it all, I did skim and have a better understanding of clad vs copper vs alum. Thanks!!

Leafhopper, great site for scanpan. Funny though, the 4 item says list price $107, our price $159! Too funny!

Scanpan has a site that has free shipping for orders in the US over $40. Their link is below. They do have a promotion section.

I have used my 2qt. stainless steel tri-clad pan to poach eggs. The egg does stick to it, but what I have found works to remove the egg is to put a bit of cascade in the pan with water, bring it to a boil and let it cool down. The egg then comes right out of the pan. This method would work with the copper bottom pans that can't go into the dishwasher.

Katy

Here is a link that might be useful: scanpan site

• tesdacey
    19 years ago

I have old Calphalon-most of the interior coating has worn off-but it cooks fine-looks ugly. I have had an All-Clad 12" saute pan for 15 years- I love it and it looks as good as new. My son gave me a copper 10" frypan (Williams Sonoma)- I love it so much that I bought a hammered heavy copper Saucepan (Mauviel from France) at Marshalls. It is wonderful. I also use my ancient cast iron frypan and my enameled iron Dutch ovens. I think most people find a mix that suits them from different varieties of manufacture. Tess

• Wyel
    19 years ago

I've used cast iron for years. I would suggest however that you look for garage/estate/tag sales and buy one of those old ones. The new ones are made in China and are rough. I've seasoned and reseasoned and they are never going to be right. I bought a griddle today for $1.00. Needs some work, but it's really old and will clean up nicely. A properly seasoned cast iron should look and feel like black silk. And not hard to care for. Swish it out with soapy water (no dishwasher ever and no steel wool). Not needed anyway. Bottoms should be absolutely flat. Season with unsalted--lard or Crisco. Not oil. A couple of hours at low heat. May have to do it a couple of times. The trick to no rust ever is to really dry after use and perhaps just a thin smear of unsalted grease.

I read somewhere that people who cook in cast iron never have iron deficiency anemia. So they say--whoever they are.

Wyel

• mogelgaard
    19 years ago

I have owned Scanpan Non-Stick cookware for years and in my opinion it is the best non stick cookware on the market! I recently purchased the new Scanpan Steel 10 pc Cookware Set and I must say I am very impressed by the quality. The pans have an extra thick 5mm aluminum base sandwiched between a 1.2 mm stainless steel top and bottom. Excellent heat distribution and I love the honeycomb pattern base. This is to prevent warping. The pans also clean up very well, look great and come with a lifetime warranty. I actually prefer it to my All-Clad and I only paid just over $400 CDN for the set.

You can check out Scanpan Cookware for more info

• robincoffey
    19 years ago

Pampered Chef has a set of really good professional cookware. It is made of hard anodized aluminum. It has a bonded non-stick surface, so no flaking. It also has a lifetime guarantee. They really stand behind their products.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great site!

• debernade
    19 years ago

I just bought a Maytag smoothtop and am in the market for a good set of cookware and have been doing some research. That's how I came upon this site. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Roy`s Fusion Stainless Steel 16-piece Cookware Set? I saw it on hsn.com and it looks pretty impressive. See Link

I wanted nonstick, but I like the fact that this cookware is nonreactive and it has the brushed SS interior that looked like a snap to wipe clean like nonstick in his demonstration. I also like the glass tempered lids and the attractive choices of exterior enamel colors.

Hope someone can advise me on this set. Thanks, Deb

Here is a link that might be useful: Roy Yamaguchi's cookware on hsn.com

• blazedog
    19 years ago

I have no idea regarding this type of cookware.

You should be aware that NO stainless steel is going to wipe clean. I have stainless and nonstick and the stainless still needs to be scoured slightly. This is not a complaint about stainless -- With deglazing, clean up of my stainless isn't difficult.

I have both stainless and non-stick cookware and each has its own purpose in the kitchen -- I cook a lot of non-fat dishes which can only be cooked in a nonstick pan. Additionally, fish and eggs are best cooked in non-stick pans. I also follow the Cook's Illustrated method of stir frying in a large non-fat skillet which produces (for me) the best stir fries with minimal oil.

Personally I don't like glass lids since it limits the ability to put pans in the oven and I do think ultimately they are less durable than stainless lids -- but of course this is a personal preference.

• spewey
    19 years ago

Some glass lids are tempered glass and do fine in an oven. I have a Cuisinart SS pan with a glass lid and it's safe for oven use. We make biryanis in it all the time. Nice to be able to look through the oven window and the lid and see how it's doing.

As far as durability, I've never seen a dented glass lid :)

• Donnabella48
    19 years ago

I need to buy new pans for my ceramic hob, on which I've cooked with old copper bottom potsfor over 5 yrs. I know its heat etc. It's our 35th wedding anniversary tonight so I'm definitely no newbie cook. I have had 2 Le Creuset casseroles since 1971 - perfect condition, but I have had 2 brand new Scanpan frypans 'buckle' and become unbalanced, each after 2-3 days use. The first one went back and was replaced - now the second one has folowed the first one's pattern. Why don't these pans stay sitting flat on the hob? I have the large skillet style pan - I've used it maybe 3 times - tonight was fillet steak on a quite moderate heat - I heated the pan gently as instructed and just can't believe that, again, it is not sitting flat. The pan now tips towards the handle so there is almost 2mms of the pan not on the hob anymore. Please help as I love the look of these pans - I wan to buy the whole set but now I'm worried about that choice. What am I doing wrong please

• hamptonmeadow
    19 years ago

A few of the posters have given very good advice. Different levels of pans are best for different purposes. If you are heating or steaming veggies you don't need a fancy AC pan. The ones you have now are just fine probably. If you want to have beautifully browned and easy to clean saute or fry pans, you should get
    AC. Stock pot from restuarant supply. Sets are fine but you spending money for pans that you don't really need.
    Nonstick for eggs and a nonstick griddle for pancakes.
    AC pans are NOT difficult to clean. I never use any thing but soapy water on them and they clean up fine.
    Le Cruset for braising and for stews and such. There you go!

• bryansda
    19 years ago

Hi VAherbmom,

If you are near a Corning/Revereware outlet go check them out. For Christmas I got my daughter a nice set of non-stick cookware, glass in lids with a 25 year warranty. If I hadn't already replaced my cookware several years ago I would have gotten myself some of this cookware too.

• andybrett
    19 years ago

I have spent a lot of money on meyer Annolon & Circlon pans , but the best i have ever used are TEFAL induction range . The pans are supported with a lifetime warrenty. One of the smaller pans handel came loose & Tefal sent me a full set as a refund . They are metal utensel safe , dishwasher safe , have the thermospot heat indicator . In my opinion the best pans available & cheep to. Give one a try and i bet you have the full range soon.

• spewey
    19 years ago

All-Clad gets my recommendation. I used Calphalon anodized before and it just wouldn't produce that fabulous fond you get when deglazing, plus the handles got way too hot. Main reason I didn't like it was it couldn't go in the dishwasher. For All-Clad, I recommend the regular stainless steel version, as it just loves to go in the dishwasher. It's a big investment but for me it's been worth it; cooking is such a joy since I started using it.

• blazedog
    19 years ago

All Clad is good - I have some but there are several different lines of Calphalon. I have the expensive line and the handles never get hot on the stove.

Regarding the DW -- how the heck does anybody fit pots and pans PLUS dishes in a DW anyway :) To me, the ability to wash pans in a DW is a minor concern because I would have to run two loads just for dinner if I put my cookware in with the dishes and prep stuff.

• weed30 St. Louis
    19 years ago

I got a Calphalon anondized non stick as a gift, and really love it. So much that I went out to buy the whole set. But then I was distracted by the Calphalon SS. I decided to hold off on the non stick set and try out the SS. I picked up a

it's gorgeous :) I really think food cooks/looks better in SS, but have only owned cheap SS pans. They are a b*tch to clean. I think a high grade SS pan will work great, I can't wait to try it!

• homepro01
    19 years ago

Andy,
    I purchased the Tefal for Jamie Oliver which is induction capable. It will be returned as quickly as I can pack it up. All Clad and Demeyere for me, thank you. The pans are heavier than Le Creuset and since they are only bottom clad, everything burns quickly and easily. I am testing out an Induction single burner and thought this would be a cheaper purchase than All Clad. You really get what you pay for. I will purchase more Le Creuset pieces and All Clad Stainless or Demeyere.

Good luck and YMMV.

• deanb
    19 years ago

Weed,
    There are two tricks to cooking with stainless steel cooking surfaces that will optimize the performance.

First, always preheat the pan to the temperature you want to cook at and at the same setting, i.e. don't try to hurry this process by pre-heating the pan on high. Then preheat the oil. This will make foods stick less, release better, and let you get a good fond.

Second, keep the cooking surface scrupulously clean. This is easy if you wait until the pan is warm until you wash it and finish with a little Barkeepers Friend applied with a paper towel, rinse thoroughly, and hand dry the pan. Any residue left on a SS surface will make food stick and progressively harder to get off with each use. It only takes an extra minute or so per pan to keep them really clean and it's worth the little bit of effort required.

• solarpowered
    19 years ago

I notice that several posts here placed a great deal of importance on whether the lids are glass. Much of the European cookware is made in increments of 2 cm, which makes lids interchangeable among brands. Demeyere sells pyrex lids for their cookware, which I believe can be used on other brands, as well. So you should be able to mix and match pans and lids. (Also, I believe I saw another brand selling glass lids, but I don't remember now who it was.)

I have attached a link to a place that sells Demeyere pyrex lids. Scroll to the bottom of the page to see them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lids

• chasthechef
    16 years ago

Help! I have a smooth ceramic cooktop and some of my pots and pans, mostly Calphalon, have gone from totally flat when I first bought them to wobbly. Is there some way I can restore them to flat again, maybe with a hammer? Is there a repair service out there?

• deanb
    16 years ago

I don't know how they could be repaired but Calphalon, their top lines anyway, have a lifetime warranty and they're good about honoring it. Get them replaced.