Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saucepan or Sauteuse pan?

Posted by dbaguy (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 07 at 10:28

Cook's Illustrated inferred (can't find link; only have a printout now) that the Sauteuse can function as a saucepan as well as allow for faster reduction (greater liquid surface area compared to heating area) and allows whisks to more easily access the interior surfaces. (They still listed top choices for both.) It looks like a sauteuse pan is also called a saucier. The link appears to reference the top choices by CI.

Any thoughts as to "Why buy both?" or "Is one better (i.e., more multi-functional) than the other?"

Here is a link that might be useful: Cook's Illustrated Essential Cookware (Amazon)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saucepan or Sauteuse pan?

A sauce pan will cook things requiring a deeper pan, like a few potatoes for 2 people, or pasta for 1, or my caramel sauce that doesn't make a lot but boils over easily.
Most times a skillet does me for a saucier.
Linda C

o

I have both. It is true that it is easier to use a whisk in the sauteuse, however the difference is not that big. On the other hand, for a given volume, a sautuese is considerably bigger than a saucepan. Also, the saucepan heats things up a bit faster than the sauteuse.

I don't really experience that there's much practical difference between the two styles, except that the sautuese is a bigger pan to wash.

If you were to get just one pan, I think you would be happier with a saucepan.

(A serious chef might have a different take on this, though.)

o

I have a sautuese from Williams Sonama -- Calphalon non-stick. I love it.

Made Kung Pao chicken last night and eggplant parm tonight.

My only complaint is that the far edges of the pan don't seem to get as hot as the middle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here