Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flsandytoes

Induction Cookware Advice

flsandytoes
10 years ago

I need advice about induction cookers and aluminum.

We all know that aluminum conducts heat brilliantly. It is also known that induction cookers are capable of very low simmers, much more so than other hobs.

Generally, it is agreed that the thicker the aluminum, the better. Thicker means a sauce won't scorch, etc... But now I wonder; does it really matter on induction, given it's ability to 'go low'?

I recently scored 2 Mauviel M'Stone pieces, a stewpot and a saut� pan. Everything about them is impressive, but they're only what I consider average thickness, about 3mm. This is pretty close to the Circulon I've seen at Costco. By comparison, Kitchenaid Professional is 5.5mm thick.

So, for induction, is this of minor importance? I can't try the Mauviel for 2 reasons; 1) to return them, they've got to be unused and 2) I haven't got my induction range yet. The pans were a Black Friday deal ($110 combined) that was too good to pass up, because the current price at Cutlery and More for the same pans (the saut� is on sale) is $385. Mine don't have lids, oddly, but that's cheaply remedied.

So is this a thing, or not? Also, if you've cooked with the Kitchenaid anodized or Mauviel, how does it perform relative to other pans?

Comments (5)