Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CLUB cast aluminum pots

Posted by zidnasz (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 25, 08 at 9:04

I have had a set of CLUB cast aluminum pots for several years. Lately when washing (using a stainless steal pad) the aluminum seems to be coming off. Are these pots still safe to use? What caused this to happen and is there anyway I can stop this from happening?
Thanks to anyone who can help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CLUB cast aluminum pots

Yes they are still safe....
What do you mean by "The aluminum keeps coming off"?
Club aluminum si heavy, solid aluminum and wonderful to cook with! If you scrub with a stainless steel pad, you may remove bits of the surface, because the steel is harder than the aluminum. Use a soap filled brillo or SOS pan....it's gentler.
Linda C

o

I read your posting in iVillage Garden forum about Club Aluminum today. I have a set of club aluminum that I got for my wedding 32 years ago. Since my husband has been cooking chili and other tomato-y stuff in it forever it has gotten very pit-y and dark inside. The food is always delicious though. I read the previous posting that says that the aluminum can't rub off, but does the tomato acid make the cookware unusable in any way?

o

I would think that a stainless steel pad would, in fact, scratch into the aluminum causing it to flake off/wear down. You'd be better not to use something too abrasive, just use a scrubby or a green scrub pad, not stainless.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here