Return to the Cookware Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vacuum sealing

Posted by girlnumber5 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 4, 06 at 6:28

Hello. I am fairly new to GardenWeb, I am having a bit of difficulty navigating this site, so I may not be in the right place :-)

I just got a vacuum sealer & really like it. My question is, has anyone had luck using zipper freezer bags (minus the zipper:-) in place of the bags that come with the machine. Due to my frugal nature :-) I am always looking for ways to save $.

Thanks,
Trish in CT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vacuum sealing

Welcome Trish.

That only works if your sealer has an adjustible heat controller. Zipper bags are made of a different plastic, and require lower heat to work. At high heat you just burn through them.

BTW, to achieve a vacumn seal in a zipper bag that's even better than the machines, close all but about a half inch of the zipper. Then submerge the bag in water right up to the zipper line. Seal the last half inch. You will have forced _all_ the air out by doing that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cookware Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here